Windsor HIFI Show

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Windsor HIFI Show

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think Chord missed a trick by not providing a decent demonstration of the MScaler. Their priority seems to be equipment costing as much as a house, like so many of them. Glowing reports about the MScaler on Head-fi by people who have bought it. My Qutest was designed for it and I would like to give it a try at home.

On the subject of Class D, I believe the Glasgow mafia has embraced it which says it all for me. A moderated on Wam who has a soft spot for Linn sung it's praises in response to one of my posts when I said the only hifi developments are in respect of digital.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:42 pm Nothing at all, the same as there is nothing wrong with me telling you the truth. I am far more annoyed by that balanced con though.

My annoyance was at justifying 20 odd k£ was that it sounds good, it is a total fecking rip-off, I really don't care how good it sounds. It is the death of our hobby the way this is going, and if manufacturers and dealers are allowed to get away with it without reality and truth being spoken then I fear for this hobby. I am now thinking my manipulation off Wigwam is for this very reason THEY DON'T WANT THE TRUTH there are too many people with their noses in the trough, slurp slurp.

AND both of the recent subjects there that caused my demise were WAF and Balanced.
That's nothing compared to the cost of some of the components at that show. As I said, the Chord Reference system was £100K excluding speakers (some Muon something or others) and it sounded horrible. Honestly, hideous. I sat for a few moments and then moved on.

George Hincapie

CN211276 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:56 pm I think Chord missed a trick by not providing a decent demonstration of the MScaler. Their priority seems to be equipment costing as much as a house, like so many of them. Glowing reports about the MScaler on Head-fi by people who have bought it. My Qutest was designed for it and I would like to give it a try at home.

On the subject of Class D, I believe the Glasgow mafia has embraced it which says it all for me. A moderated on Wam who has a soft spot for Linn sung it's praises in response to one of my posts when I said the only hifi developments are in respect of digital.
They did have one of their new Toby amps plugged into the Hugo/MScaler system into a set of floorstanders but that wasn't being played actively when I was there.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just because a company has bonkers prices doesn't mean those that are ripping you off at a below the madness level shouldn't be criticised. Do you know how much in components and labour go in that £20k. I bet you it is way less than £1k

George Hincapie

"I didn't suggest otherwise did I? How much cost goes into your £18K Cubix pros?"

About £5k material and if I costed out my labour about £3k. I like to work on double cost to your price, but with statement range gear I have to do more. Full Cubix pro are 6 amplifiers built into 6 speaker with 6 external power supplies. If costed the way Chord seem to that would be £1m.

"Direct your angst elsewhere, I don't set the prices, I'm not justifying those prices for other people and I don't represent the companies. If you are going to react this way every time I post thoughts from a show then I just won't bother and that's a shame for everyone else that might be interested."

You can say what you like the same as I can put some reality around it, we both have that freedom.

George Hincapie

Why are you editing my posts now? Just post as you.

Clearly I can't say what I like. This was a thread about thoughts from the show, not an opportunity for you to get on your soapbox about industry practice you don't like. Why not start a separate thread for that instead of pissing all over my thread?

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

The bottom line is, whatever the technology used, the Kii 3's did sound wonderful. I couldn't care less what's inside, if it sounds good it is good and I know what I hear. Maybe that feeling will fade after a while, maybe it won't I'll never know because I can't afford them but if I could I would try them at home for sure.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Kii 3 bake-off required. Let's put them up against something good.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Get Keith to lend you a pair.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I will always get on my soapbox for as long as it is needed (IMO), and I have edited nothing, just replied.

That show has been used to try and con people as in the balanced v unbalanced comparison, they need to be exposed.