Ball Bearing

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

Ball Bearing

Unread post by Latteman »

I want to replace the bearing on a systemdek llx, I’ve had it a while, lots of miles and ‘House moves’ and feel the rumble is more audible.
So- is the ruby / ceramic a con or shall I just strip my bike hub for a standard ball 🎱
Does anyone know if rega etc are the same size as systemdek
Cheers Pete
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

davjam13
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Ball Bearing

Unread post by davjam13 »

I don't know about the Ruby or Ceramic ones but I was fixing up a Michell Focus one a year or so back and because I couldn't quite get an exact measurement as the ball bearing was AWOL I ordered two sizes from EBAY they were pretty cheap and came in packs of ten I think. They did the job perfectly.
Cleardio performance D.C.Turntable MCRU PSU Clearaudio Clarify arm Clearaudio Virtuoso v2 Ebony MM cartridge
Project cd box DS
pioneer vsx 531
interrconnects all Nva ssc
Nva ls3 biwire speaker cable
Linn Tukans front
monitor audio radius centre

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Very suspicious of ceramic ball bearings. They are very hard and I think would wear the metal surfaces.
I think it would make more sense to use metal balls so that wear is mainly on the ball bearing itself, which is easy to replace. Perhaps these? :

https://maccmodels.co.uk/live-steam-fit ... rings.html
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Experience tells me that bearings aren't arbitary things and I gather that the materials should match. Systemdeks were designed by a master in my opinion and if he deemed a steel ball was ok for that particular design, then fine. Garrard 301 bearing spindles have been all but ruined by ceramic ball 'upgrades,' not because the ceramic idea is a bad one particularly, but the main spindle wasn't designed to be used with a ball of any kind in the first place (there was a oil-laden bronze thrust plate of dedicated design with a given amount of 'drag,' ideal for 24/7 running in broadcast environments). Steel balls are ten a penny from model shops and eBay in a variety of sizes, so don't despair if you need a fresh one. (ballbearings.co.uk?)

Have a look at the bearing spindle tip to check for wear if it's a flat ended type. A polished running mark with small shiny 'dimple' is fine. If it uses the 'Archimedes screw' style of lubrication of the original top Systemdek models and a brass sleeve, then EP80 is the oil they used to use. If it's a bronze sleeving, then turbine oils are often used (Zoom-Spout has been mentioned recently on Vinyl Engine) and in the Dual section on VE, the slightly viscous Stihl chainsaw oil seems to work safely and doesn't run away down the bearing spindle as engine oil does.

Any of the above any help?

P.S. Rumble in these types of springy belt drives are more in the motor and belt type, rather than the main bearings I feel... Check to see if the motor is fairly free spinning (these multi-pole types 'cog' a bit, but shouldn't feel as if they're binding) and if Rega's are anything to go by, they do need cleaning and oiling every twenty years or so ;) Old belts harden as well as stretch and I think Audio Note have taken the basic deck and tweaked it, adding healthily to the selling price for the privilege, but at least you may get some spares there if needs be.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Thank you for the replies especially the comprehensive one above
I have the screw type bearing in a bronze sleeve so a new ball and better oil is my plan.
The deck has just been used as a donor for an ARB Turntable I had made
Thank you again peter
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources