Quad ESL 63

All general audio posts go here.
luckyredfish
Great Britain

Quad ESL 63

Unread post by luckyredfish »

I'm currently using an A20 and P20 starter system and will probably upgrade to A40 monoblocks before the year is out . Can anyone tell me if the A20 , or the A40s , will drive a pair of Quad ESL 63s .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Quad ESL 63

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They love ESL 57 but the ESL 63 are a different kettle of luckyredfish. They contain a delay line which makes a very irritating influence to the music IMO, and alters the load characteristics, so I wouldn't use them, but other do with NVA. As I say the 57 especially 2 pairs stacked are one of my fav speakers. The other thing to take into account is the era or when made. The early ones in the first year of production had a crowbar protection circuit to stop the panel arching on overload. This was ridiculous and Quad took it out later. On the circuit firing it put a direct short circuit across the amplifier output, and NVA amps and many others would fail if faced with a short circuit load, just like holding the pos and neg speaker cables touching each other.

luckyredfish
Great Britain

Unread post by luckyredfish »

Thanks for the prompt reply Doc . I've heard the 63s and really liked them , however , I think I will leave well alone as I fully intend to work my way up the NVA ladder . I've been well pleased since I put the A20 / P20 combo into my system . Once I have upgraded to the A40s I will probably give the NVA speaker range a go and see how they fair in my room .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sounds like a good plan.