Possibly stupid question alert

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Possibly stupid question alert

Unread post by Berty bass »

(Holds breath to compose himself...and:) Is it okay to place PSUs on their side or even front? Or do they have to be positioned on their feet?

alfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Possibly stupid question alert

Unread post by alfer »

Any particular PSUs or a generalisation with exceptions? SMPS or real ones
AtoZ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They can be put any way around, nothing will change but possibility of scratches.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Sorry - yes - NVA PSUs. Specifically for my present Phono 2 and potentially also for the P50/A30 set up I'm considering changing to. This relates to my other thread about optimum locations for devices too.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Berty bass wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 am (Holds breath to compose himself...and:) Is it okay to place PSUs on their side or even front? Or do they have to be positioned on their feet?
This wasn't a stupid question! It was the question, regarding a phono1 MM, I would have posted in the near future. At the moment it is running in here, but when put in my daughters system next week, and there would hum when putting on top of a A20, there has to be a solution within her limited space. In that case I thought about putting it vertically near the wall being a bit afraid of the glue resisting the gravity over a longer period (especially thinking of the transformer). But I'm nearly sure it'll work on the A20. I tried on the AP70, with has bigger transformers, and if you move the phono stage a bit on its surface, it's quiet.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:13 am They can be put any way around, nothing will change but possibility of scratches.
Thanks Doc - most helpful.