One for the Doc - AP50 placement

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

One for the Doc - AP50 placement

Unread post by Berty bass »

I'm thinking of moving my Rega Elicit-R on and, er 'expanding the NVA representation' in my set-up by replacing it with an AP50. There's nothing wrong with the Elicit but the Phono 2 I bought was such a step up from the Rega Fono MC it supplanted (and the return policy meaning any experiment is pretty much risk free) that I'm keen to trial an NVA amp. Space constraints mean that an intergrated is the most realistic option. However those same space constraints mean that the amp would more or less have to stack vertically, at the bottom of a rack and with the TT PSU and Phono 2 head unit in close proximity on the shelf above. I know it is usually advised to stack all gear horizontally but this isn't presently possible. Potentially, is it possible that the AP50 might be susceptible to interference from adjacent equipment? Thanks.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: One for the Doc - AP50 placement

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The AP50 wont be susceptible it will be the Phono2 if too near the power supply of the AP50. The power supply looking from the front is on the right side of the amp case.

If you have only two sources the best solution and easier to fit in would be a P20 and a pair of A40's. With extra cables it would be about the same price, and a small step up from the AP50. It also gives you upgrade flexibility once you learn how good NVA amps are.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Thanks Doc - appreciate the prompt response. Would there be any issues locating the A40's on top of the PSU for my Phono 2?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No, but they should not stack on top of each other, they need room to vent heat at times they are working hard. If you only have room for one box then go for a P50 / A30.

Sorry to confuse, but this is one of the main reasons I hate racks. Everything cramped up together with birds nest wiring.

What ever you choose if you are unhappy and want to change to another solution then that is what the 30 day is for.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Yep, understood - I know you and others advise against racks but short of relocating my whole set-up I'm a bit buggered on the space front really. I shall ruminate accordingly. Many thanks.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I too was short on space- more because I didn’t have a digital source hooked up before I got the nva amps. My main area has 2x A20s, a P50, turntable & phono stage (schiit mani so small) and using extra long interconnects I moved the digital stuff way off to the side of the room, the power amps are out of the way but ventilated well- the P50, Mani and turntable are on “display”
There are ways to accomplish it- ps the P50 A30 suggestion would be fantastic choice😍
Good luck 😉
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Berty bass
Great Britain

All my stuff is in the fireplace (fire removed :grin: ) on a 2-tier target rack - amp on the 'ground', TT PSU and Phono 2 head unit side-by-side on the lower shelf and Rega Apollo CDP on the top, sandwiched between the support arms of the Rega TT shelf, on which sits my P6. There's no space to add anything and I've really no idea how to arrange the other bits for optimum results. I seem to get infrequent but regular 'pops' from the Phono 2 when playing vinyl (my main source) but they are really only obvious in between tracks, so I've not experimented with any alternative arrangements. Because the Apollo is top loading there's no real flexibility to swap it with the Phono 2. Luckily I've managed to position the Phono 2 PSU a few feet from the sources and amps, beside my speakers.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

All my stuff is in a tall wooden rack I have had for nearly 40 years. Space is limited because of domestic considerations and small size has influenced my digital buying decisions, although SQ is the major consideration. Vinyl is stored at the bottom, providing a solid base. A draw for cassette tapes is on top. Above are the A80s with adequate space at the sides and above, the perfect size. The next shelf has the most components, Phono 1 with the streamer and PS on one side and a Bluetooth DAC on the other. The main DAC is on the shelf above next to the P90sa. On top is the Rega Planar 3 as it has been for 35 years. Head phone DACs are stored under the TT. All looks quite neat.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Hi-fi needs room to breath, and I don't mean heat only. Just close proximity is the problem and not just hum fields but also music as the cable maze cross talks. It is just totally illogical to cram all this stuff up next to each other. Once again the idea came from the pro-market with pro 19 inch rack mounts, that makes sense for them but not for us.. In many way a nice bit of furniture with stuff inside and/or on top makes far more sense. OR as with one system from a member here has his equipment laid out on top of his record storage cabinets, very logical, looks nice when on show. In the Far East they like making a hi-fi stage, I like this idea as well with the equipment laid out between the speakers either on low tables of just the floor.

What doesn't help is the bullshit that racks make systems sound better - impossible. A sprung TT yes/ maybe, amplifiers etc = nonsense. Just look at this farcical thing, someone told me this is a pic of similar to Marcos rack, just more loony. Can you imagine this - completely feckin bonkers. Flat earth bonkers.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm Hi-fi needs room to breath, and I don't mean heat only. Just close proximity is the problem and not just hum fields but also music as the cable maze cross talks. It is just totally illogical to cram all this stuff up next to each other. Once again the idea came from the pro-market with pro 19 inch rack mounts, that makes sense for them but not for us.. In many way a nice bit of furniture with stuff inside and/or on top makes far more sense. OR as with one system from a member here has his equipment laid out on top of his record storage cabinets, very logical, looks nice when on show. In the Far East they like making a hi-fi stage, I like this idea as well with the equipment laid out between the speakers either on low tables of just the floor.

What doesn't help is the bullshit that racks make systems sound better - impossible. A sprung TT yes, amplifiers etc = nonsense. Just look at this farcical thing, someone told me this is a pic of similar to Marcos rack, just more loony. Can you imagine this - completely feckin bonkers. Flat earth bonkers.

I heard a similar set up at one of the shows (Penta late 80's). Sounded shit.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)