What part of your system is weakest.

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

What part of your system is weakest.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As the question says.

I get max opportunity to swop around but only NVA apart from sources of course. I find the question odd and variable. For example recently I have been running A100s with Soundcords because I needed long leads, sounded very good, could not complain was not looking to change anything. Then I was running an A30 on Soundcord, and thought Hmmm! put SSP on and wow! so there are odd thing going on with this synergy thing. The starter system really comes to life, even though really good to start with, with the better cable.

Any thoughts from your own experience.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Re: What part of your system is weakest.

Unread post by BillyBones »

Presumably the SSP is between the pre and A30? What about connecting your source to the pre,would you say a step up in cable is beneficial too?

I'm a A20/P20 starter system user who's moving up to an A30.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

In an NVA system I don't think the importance of cables can be underestimated. When I connected TIS to my pre amp and monoblocks there was a distinct improvement. But the improvement was far greater when TIS replaced the SSP connecting the DAC to pre amp. For the full benefit i believe that interconnecter upgrades need to go all the way from source to power amp. I received a similar jump in SQ when replacing LS6 with TSCS. I have found that upgrading cables has had more benefit than upgrading my pre amp (which was significant), but at greater cost. LS6 was the first NVA kit I bought apart from the BMU. It makes quite a difference in systems which are not NVA as evidenced by the recent bake off the Doc attended.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

At the bake off the Ushers were hard, in yer face and metallic, I could not listen to music, all I could listen to was the speaker and wince, so I went in the garden sighing to myself. Somewhere behind that bloody noise was music trying to get out. I then spent an hour or two dropping hints that I would like to change the speaker cable to LS6. In the end it happened and the difference was enormous, some people I think didn't get it, those who want a home PA system, anyway the music suddenly appeared from behind the noise pretending to be music, the image dropped back instead of poking my eyes out, I could now hear the amp was a good'un, and the TT was nice if a bit warbly. It was that much change.

If it had been you lot at the Bake-off you would have all laughed, but it seems I was still unknown territory so my opinions even though musically obvious were still to find excuses not to believe. All praise for Lurch though (the Bake-off host) he sat and listened and could hear what was happening, but still the "well cables make no difference they are foo" was the brainwash that had to be broken through. Some heard it some refused to due to brain blockage.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Since I heard a couple of old DD tables - Garrard and Lenco...

...it could be my WTL Versalex turntable. The WTL is a very, very good deck but there is something about the 'boogie' from those DDs.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Garrard and Lenco are not DD they are rim drives, or sometime called idler wheel drives.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Yes, of course...ta
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I’ll play but feel free to chip in-
I think my weakest part is speakers;
I have a pair of Royd Minstrels & a pair of linn helix. Royds are light tight & fast- nice music
Linns have presence- scale and authority; slight boom on bass, annoying at times but can rock.
These are fed mainly vinyl via Funk Firm Vector, origin live Onyx, dynavector 10x5, schillt mani ssc to A20, sc to p20 & Ls1
I like both speakers but would love a combination of them hence they are my weakness at the moment ?!
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Weakest part is currently cables between potential divider and power amps. Currently using some snaic cables and chord company speaker cable (yes I know). Just bought a set of TIS so that will be the two nva based mono bloc amps sorted. Plan is to get some more TIS eventually for the four nva based amps I am yet to build. (coming soon :grin: )

Get those built I will hopefully be cooking on gas with my 3 way isobaric semi Omni's having six nva based mono blocs. Will need another set of LS6 then
:roll:
DIY FREE ZONE

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Weakest part is currently cables between potential divider and power amps
Why not fit the potential divider into the amplifier?