Device for hires audio streaming/playback

All general audio posts go here.
Pianist~Envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Device for hires audio streaming/playback

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

I've started ripping CDs to my PC harddrive in FLAC format using dBpoweramp. This will become a digital backup when I copy to an external harddrive probably used for playback.

I currently use an Android box to access my local network for the CD files but as mentioned, eventually this will be via an external harddrive, USB direct. It's hooked up to the TV so interface is big and easy to use.

I use the Android box because via USB to my DAC (ARCAM irdac ii) offers the highest quality digital audio signal.

I know the DAC bypasses any on-board sound from the Android box however I'm not sure it or the media player i use (or those available on Android) are the best out there.

So, my question is what devices those of you out there have found good for the above and also, for streaming from the internet, Tidal for example. Ideally, i want something small - a mini PC/Android box/RaspberryPi (no idea), without sink fan noise and it will be dedicated to audio playback.

Any ideas welcome!
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Device for hires audio streaming/playback

Unread post by savvypaul »

Sonore Micro Rendu

Metrum Ambre for Roon
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Awesome, thanks!

Do you have any experience with lower cost products? Considering the Android box sound is bypassed, would a better mini PC/Android/Linux-based platform come close? The only problem I have with the current box, as a 35 quid cheapo is its network/WiFi credentials lending jitter and inconsistency to the signal. Might be fixed with a direct USB link from an external hard drive? But perhaps the player is also important in the mix..?
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Pi's are very cheap and one fitted with a HifiBerry Digi+ board will give you high-quality digital output (coax or toslink) to your DAC.

Free software is available from Volumio (for instance) and I believe that streaming from Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify is available. Certainly network streaming from a NAS is a doddle with a Pi - or you can plug a self-powered USB HDD straight in.
Easy to control via PC/tablet/smartphone.

There is a simple upgrade path with better DAC boards (Digi+ PRO or Allo DigiOne) and (linear) power supplies. None of which will cost the earth. SQ using Volumio is sublime - although I would recommend ripping your CD's to WAV via the EAC ripping application. Unless your disk-space is limited and then FLAC would be the next best option.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Never used or have any knowledge of Pi's. Personally I use, and have done for years, a Squeezebox Touch. Now discontinued but still available on Ebay and suchlike, I love mine. I use it for internet radio and streaming from my Synology NAS. I have it feeding a DAC but to be honest the DAC in the Squeezebox is more than capable on its own. Can be used either via wifi or ethernet cable. No longer supports Spotify but Tidal and Quboz are OK. I can still access Spotify through a 3rd party app (Spotty) on the LMS (Logitech Media Server) software on my NAS.

I wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon that's for sure, I think they are brilliant.

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Try the usbaudioplayer app
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Great suggestions and I'm looking into all of them. Thanks for taking the time everyone, really helpful.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

There are so many options it is confusing and I can see why many stick to CD and vinyl. :lol: I think my set up is quite simple. All my CDs are ripped and stored on a NAS backed up by an external hard drive. This is accessed by the BubbleUp App on my phone from which I also stream Qobuz. BubbleUp also works with Tidal but not Spotfy. Playback if via Wi-Fi to a microRendu streamer connected to the DAC. I found the streamer to be a huge step up from my Desk too PC, as was the PC from a CD player.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The DbPowerAmp that you use is also a great ripping application - it offers, like EAC, 'secure ripping' which means the program goes back and checks that it has correctly lifted all of the music stream data from the CD.

Many applications only do a 'single-pass' for speedier working - but do not check for errors or accuracy.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Unless your disk-space is limited and then FLAC would be the next best option.
Did you ever do the comparison between FLAC and WAV?