How to review properly

All general audio posts go here.
Karnevil9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to review properly

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

One thing people should get of their head is this British is best & you dont have a proper stereo unless its British crap..Best stereos i have enjoyed have been japanese which are generally void from bull shite reviews

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Do you hear that Doc? British Crap !!!
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All countries have crap and good stuff. The Japs have produced some of the worst shite I have ever heard, but only for export to take advantage of us and make money. The test, is excellence the reason, or is slurp the reason, we all have that choice. A classic example was Pioneer. They had a budget TT for the home market called a PL12 in the late 60's, it was very good value. They had appointed a Chinese guy Willie Ling and his company as UK distributors. He bought some export ones called PL12ac, it got good remarks especially about quality of construction. Ling was only interested in selling in quantity through the discount houses so got Pioneer to cheapen it so he could get more slurp, and we got the PL12d, which was passable but not as good as the PL12ac, especially the arm which was changed. This was subject to the magazine / reviewer hype especially through Haymarket Magazines, lots of them then Hi-Fi Answers, Popular, What, Sound all a marketing exercises in shifting container loads of product, slurp slurp. Ling decided he was such a clever man he could do it again, this time by cheapening the TT side more which was the PL112d - complete shite, but hyped and people bought into the bullshit, slurp slurp slurp. Well Willie Ling got his comeuppance in the end by over trading and going bust, serves the slurper right - GREED, and you are the victim, and it still goes on.

Now a PL12ac is like hens teeth, but the 12d and the 112d are 10 a penny in availability, and now our new breed of ebay slurpers are trying all over again to convince us how good they are, IMO only fit for bonfires.

Karnevil9

zebbo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:31 pm Do you hear that Doc? British Crap !!!
putting words in my mouth is not smart..i said that people have this mindset where if its not British your not taken seriously about this hobby. When i said crap i refered to the whole notion of being just that crap. There was a hell of a load of japanese build rubbish as there was british imho.

I Just prefer the sound of good Japanese amps.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

It was only a poke..... :roll:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Karnevil9

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:09 pm Now a PL12ac is like hens teeth, but the 12d and the 112d are 10 a penny in availability, and now our new breed of ebay slurpers are trying all over again to convince us how good they are, IMO only fit for bonfires.
But i prefer the 'PL12D' so much i have a mint one boxed away i wont sell on. Utterly dislike the 'PL112D'

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then you should hear the PL12ac its in another class.

Karnevil9

Heard it already, not just about sound but enjoyment of use & looks do play a part..

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The 12ac was far better built, solid plinth, thicker metal in top plate, weighed a lot more. Arm was good decent high mass with good bearings. The arm in the 12d is not in the same class, wobbly bearings and bad construction and tolerances (remember Pioneer didn't make arms, they were bought in and this is a cheap one). Same motor belt and drive and platter, that was cheapened with the 112d.

Karnevil9

tbh im more of the Pioneer 'PL-71' Sansui 'SR-717- Japanese styling fan which made the Brit decks look like DIY projects :lol: , but i know exactly what your saying. The only let down with the AC for me was those cheap silver screen printed plates around the cue & speed change flip switches. Could not live with that.