Your fav' CD players

All general audio posts go here.
Pianist~Envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Your fav' CD players

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

List your favourite CD players past and present and why. There are quite a few historic CD player threads on the forum but none with a load of HFS opinion of this kind in one spot. Vinyl, streaming, cassette, transport/DAC: all great, but not for this thread. Look forward to hearing everyone's experiences. :epopc:
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Your fav' CD players

Unread post by savvypaul »

The only CD player I owned that I can recall any fondness for was the cheapest - bought s/h for £70 - a Phillips CD473.

Also had Orelle (ok), Meridian (a cure for insomnia) and heard a couple of Naims in all Naim systems (nasty).

Been streaming for last 8 years, and there were periods of time before that when I only listened to CDs in the car. Use an SD card now...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Over a period of nearly 30 years I owned Yamaha, NAD and Cambridge Audio. Have been streaming for the past four years.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:32 pm SONY CDP S1 for sale, 2nd hand

These are my bargain find CD player. Like the PL71 TT under the radar and astonishing value. I have three of them I only need two, so one for sale. They are normally sold this way at ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-SYSTEM- ... =R40&rt=nc as a system and I have seen the system from £300 to £500 at ebay. It is the CD player that is the gem of the system the rest is good for a simple midi stack system.

So I want £100 for it free postage.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I was an early convert to CD in the mid-80's, here are some thoughts on the more noteworthy models that have been a part of my audio world:

Kenwood (Trio) DP1100

I started with this: A first-generation high-end player, weighed a ton and didn't track particularly well - but digital audio was new and exciting then!

Cambridge Audio CD2

Thoroughly eccentric design from Stan Curtis. A very early, almost primitive model - weird device. Still runs - although only using the coax digital out.

NAD 524

Nice player but sound is very restrained and rather lacking in dynamics

Arcam CD62T

Now this is a really good player. Smooth, refined, dynamic and rich sound. A joy to use (still in office system) only slight criticism is a lack of 'bite'. But a great player - also excellent as a CD Transport.

Kenwood DP4090 (a.k.a 'The Beast')

If you want 'bite' you've got it. Massive case - think 'battleship'. Found this for a song in a thrift shop. Huge, powerful, dynamic sound. Be Warned !!!

Cambridge CXC

Pair this with a good DAC and you will never need another CD player.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Best player i bought, Use it now. Solid copper chassis & top plate, Weights about 10Kg. Built like a brick shit house unlike most the crap these days,Lightning fast TOC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1GPI6CBcmA

Rick4001
Great Britain

Unread post by Rick4001 »

Fretless wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 am I was an early convert to CD in the mid-80's, here are some thoughts on the more noteworthy models that have been a part of my audio world:

Kenwood (Trio) DP1100

I started with this: A first-generation high-end player, weighed a ton and didn't track particularly well - but digital audio was new and exciting then!

Cambridge Audio CD2

Thoroughly eccentric design from Stan Curtis. A very early, almost primitive model - weird device. Still runs - although only using the coax digital out.

NAD 524

Nice player but sound is very restrained and rather lacking in dynamics

Arcam CD62T

Now this is a really good player. Smooth, refined, dynamic and rich sound. A joy to use (still in office system) only slight criticism is a lack of 'bite'. But a great player - also excellent as a CD Transport.

Kenwood DP4090 (a.k.a 'The Beast')

If you want 'bite' you've got it. Massive case - think 'battleship'. Found this for a song in a thrift shop. Huge, powerful, dynamic sound. Be Warned !!!

Cambridge CXC

Pair this with a good DAC and you will never need another CD player.
I definitely agree about the Cambridge CXC, I've got mine linked to an upgraded Musical Fidelity X-DAC and upgraded Musical Fidelity X10 V3 tube buffer. I think I'd need to spend a lot of money to improve the sound.
My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/modified Musical Fidelity X DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Nakamichi CA5E preamp, Passive RVC, Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp ,Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands, NVA LS5, Cambridge NP30 network player, Mogami with Neutrik RCA, Sennheiser HD650, 600, Koss Pro4 AA.

artsenna

Unread post by artsenna »

Plus 1 for the CXC. Mine's paired with the Jolida Glass FX III.
Cambridge Audio CXC/ASUS TB S/Jolida Glass FX3 DAC/NVA SSP coaxial
Project RPM4/Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE
MF X80/NVA A40/Metaxas Audio Enosis interconnect
Tannoy Mini Autograph/Target R4 stands/NVA LS6

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

The only CD player that I was sorry to see go, (just because it never got used), was my Mk1 Tube Technology Fusion, lovely machine.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You all need to think out of the box, this is just all standard magazine and forum bollocks. Look at the pro market or even look at Aliexpress. As I keep saying you only know what you know, you only know about what you have heard, open your minds a bit.