Your fav' CD players

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Your fav' CD players

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Where do you think that Cambridge transport is made and by whom.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As a young audiophile I was destined to be a CD player.

Between 87 and 92 I owned numerous Phillips and marantz players. I used to open them up and tinker around with them. I even swapped the chips in the Phillips players.

Then in 93 I bought a pink triangle (second hand) and never looked back. Sold all my cds and replaced them with vinyl. Which at the the time was cheap as chips.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

My point is there are DVD player sold in the supermarkets for peanut that are better with CD than a lot of these so called hi-fi products

For examples does anyone know what this sounds like https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 0-pdt.html

or even this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... display~RR

Not a clue but I am sure you can find a digital out point on the pcb and use the £5 chinese dac.

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:20 pm You all need to think out of the box, this is just all standard magazine and forum bollocks. Well i for one dont do that shit, my choices are always should we say not the norm.

Chopsaw54
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:47 pmNot a clue but I am sure you can find a digital out point on the pcb and use the £5 chinese dac.
That’s what I’ve done with my Naim CD3 though I run it into a somewhat better dac. I’ve owned this CD player for quite a while and it is most certainly my favorite player.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I would love to hear a Meridian 206B again in my current system. It sounded great when I had one years ago but it broke down and when I sent it for repair I didn't get it back.

I have recently been listening to a NOS modified Philips CD104, not hi-fi by today's standards but an enjoyable listen nevertheless.

My current player is a NAD dvd player which sounds great.

Inspired by Doc I tried lots of cheap players. My preference was for JVC players but the NAD beats them easily.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

All the 2nd hand CD players that I've bought have been my equal favourites.

A couple of ex local/hospital radio station Denon CD players bought for £15 each
A Marantz (rebadged Philips CD 751) for £20.
A Marantz CD 753 for £30.

Subtle sonic differences between them. To the point of not worrying about it and focusing on the pareto of the speakers.
I'd love to compare these against a £mega-bucks CD player / digital source in the same system. Sadly no takers so far. They'd be on a hiding to nothing & nobody seems to be interested in discovering whether they've blown £10,000+ for no or minimal benefit.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 am All the 2nd hand CD players that I've bought have been my equal favourites.

A couple of ex local/hospital radio station Denon CD players bought for £15 each
A Marantz (rebadged Philips CD 751) for £20.
A Marantz CD 753 for £30.

Subtle sonic differences between them. To the point of not worrying about it and focusing on the pareto of the speakers.
I'd love to compare these against a £mega-bucks CD player / digital source in the same system. Sadly no takers so far. They'd be on a hiding to nothing & nobody seems to be interested in discovering whether they've blown £10,000+ for no or minimal benefit.
I've got about £2k of digital kit and I won't mind if I've been a mug for buying it. Bring them CDPs up to Durham, mate...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Micro Seiki player I have was the first that ever gave me a proper walk-in soundtsage, some bass power and musicality and forever banishing for me the negative vibes 'digital' has still for some people. I've heard other players do this since, but older ones tend to be more expensive models. Today, digits cost peanuts to do right, so it's an audiophile/audiophool thing really imo...

The only thing really 'wrong' with using a DVD player as transport is the slightly clunky way it works (like a typical Rega player) taking ages to 'read' the table of contents and so on. Most cheap ones lack a display unless you link it to your telly, but not an issue if you play discs all the way through. Loads of people have used these types of machine as transports with no issues whatsoever and it's been said that modern CD players have cobbled DVD drives in them anyway as few suppliers make CD only drives now...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

It is I, Leclerc

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

More forum bollocks for me I'm afraid. Arcam Delta 250/Black Box (Black Bollox?) 500 that I've been using since the mid '90s floats my CD boat. I nearly bought a new transport when the 250 self destructed a few years ago but they mostly sounded less than satisfactory to me. Fortunately our Chinese friends make spares for the long discontinued Philips transport so I repaired mine for around £7.00, which I managed without QuickQuid. I've tried other DACS with it but the Black Box just has something that they didn't, so it's still happily married to the now half caste 250.