NVA phono 2 v 3 questions & Transformer question.

All general audio posts go here.
Somethingfunny
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NVA phono 2 v 3 questions & Transformer question.

Unread post by Somethingfunny »

Hello everybody.

I am hoping this is the correct place for such discussion.

What are the differences between the 2 & 3?

I can't see any advertising for the phono3 on eBay so I assume it is a forum only offer? Is a phono 3 available for loan?

I recently recieved an NVA Phonostage, which was a gift from my girl. (Thank you Doctor) i also bought an extra power supply from Stemcor who posts here too.

I am very excited with its performance and will offer my thoughts in time.

I do have one or two questions for the Doctor if he may answer I would be very happy.

The NVA "Head" must lay on its side or I get lots of interference and humming from the surrounding equipment. On its side, it is silent. Is this normal?

The PSUs have buzzing transformers which are very audible but doesn't transfer to the sound. Is this normal too?

Somethingfunny

Re: NVA phono 2 v 3 questions & Transformer question.

Thanks. Alb.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I think I am right in saying that the 3 has bigger power supplies and there are a few changes to the head unit.

With respect to the humming this is not a major surprise. I had exactly the same problem when I purchased a phono 2. The solution is to keep the head unit as far away as possible from any transformers. If you have a rack then rearrange the components and see if this eliminates the humming. I ended up with the amp on a sideboard next to the rack. The doc hates racks and I can see why.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Just add to my earlier post. I did have the phono 2 head unit on the sideboard and the 2 psus and a Teddy Pardo amp in a rack. The turntable was on the top of the rack. Keeping the head unit in the rack was a no-no due to a lot of humming which is how it ended up on the sideboard. When the Teddys were replaced with a NVA amp I found that the best solution was to have the amp on the sideboard, the phono 2 on the shelf immediately underneath the turntable and the 2 x psu on the bottom shelves. Experiment to see what works best for you. If you do have to have the phono 2 on its side then I can’t see how this will be a problem unless the Doc knows otherwise. The acrylic cases do not act as shields.

Somethingfunny

Stemcor1990 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:56 pm Just add to my earlier post. I did have the phono 2 head unit on the sideboard and the 2 psus and a Teddy Pardo amp in a rack. The turntable was on the top of the rack. Keeping the head unit in the rack was a no-no due to a lot of humming which is how it ended up on the sideboard. When the Teddys were replaced with a NVA amp I found that the best solution was to have the amp on the sideboard, the phono 2 on the shelf immediately underneath the turntable and the 2 x psu on the bottom shelves. Experiment to see what works best for you. If you do have to have the phono 2 on its side then I can’t see how this will be a problem unless the Doc knows otherwise. The acrylic cases do not act as shields.
Thank you for your information, Michael.

I will look at moving some items around. The "head" is ok on its side, just unconventional. A bit like NVA!

Alb.

kellerist
Hungary

Unread post by kellerist »

Maybe you should try a DC filter. Check the trasformer hum topic.

Somethingfunny

kellerist wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:57 pm Maybe you should try a DC filter. Check the trasformer hum topic.
I have one installed already. It's mechanical buzzing rather than hum, apologies if that wasn't clear.

Alb.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

The DC blocker IS for the mechanical hum/buzz. If it made no difference for you then I guess DC isn't the issue.
I just think that some trannies are a bit more prone to some noise than others even with a perfect supply. My Phono 2 supplies were completely silent, these monster ones I have now aren't but they are much, much bigger and there are many of them. With the mains regenerator & BMU I am confident they are getting a pure supply but they still buzz a bit, I guess it's something I'm just going to have to live with.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: