You guys are a bad influence

All general audio posts go here.
montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

You guys are a bad influence

Unread post by montechristo358 »

I need to do some reviews soon but since becoming an active poster on here a few months ago my Hi-Fi spending seems to have rekindled.

So far I have acquired

1 x Long Dog Audio Linear PSU
1 x Timestep HE III Technics SL-1200 Linear PSU
1 x HDPLex Linear PSU
3 x Docs reccomended Chinese Linear 5V PSUs
1 x Doc reccomended DAC
1 x cheap HDMI DAC (Can it equal Doc's cheap Chinese DAC? watch this space
1 x NVA Phono 2 with dual PSU
1 x NVA AP10P
1 x Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer
Assorted DOC mod drivers

my ears thank you, my wallet hates you :-)
Last edited by montechristo358 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: You guys are a bad influence

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Which of those sound better than what you already had, and how do they compare price wise?

montechristo358
Great Britain

To start at the top. The Long Dog should be £225, I picked up one for £130 (from memory secondhand the plan was to use it for the Pi Streamer in my main rig, which is running a HifiBerry Digi+ Pro to give an SPDIF output to my amp.

That Pi has been in my rig for several years and had been running from an Anker Battery supply. I'd made the assumption that the battery should be better so never bothered with a linear PSU.

The longdog came up at a steal of a price so I thought sod it, I'll try one. Not for a moment expecting to hear a difference, and if did not positive.

What surprised me was that there was a difference and it wasn't subtle. The noise floor dropped hugely (I hate the term inky blackness, but I see why people use it), I noticed much more punch, clarity and smoothness. Absolutely no negatives.

I blame it for most of the purchases that have followed tbh
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Next step - put an Allo DigiOne in place of the Digi+ PRO. You won't believe your ears!! :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

montechristo358
Great Britain

similar flavour but better? or night and day difference?
Bedroom Rig

Office Rig

Kitchen Rig

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

More difference than I expected.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Lordie82360now
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

I agree with Fretless - an unexpected bonus especially when paired with a digital SSP.
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Allo Digione/rpi4b/ifi iPower PSU/Volumio, Crucial and Samsung USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Not sure you'd need the MF valve buffer.The first one was severely coloured sounding, although it beefed up the popular ear-ache Marantz CD63 KI Sig player we often sold them with. I did the full 'Rock Grotto' updates to mine and it transformed it for the better, but honestly not sure it has a place in a properly working system...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

montechristo358
Great Britain

frankly I'm expecting it not do be of use, however my brain has wanted to try one for ages. It popped up at such a price I reckon I can shift it at no loss if it proves of no benefit

the AP10P is doing its damdest to convince me that digital can sound analogue but thats another story
Bedroom Rig

Office Rig

Kitchen Rig

montechristo358
Great Britain

mini review number 2 then

Timestep HE III Technics SL-1200 Linear PSU

After the success that was adding the Longdog to the PI, I decided it was time to stop the procrastinating and get the sl1200 PSU done. So what to go for. There are definitely cheaper options than the Timestep, But I've not heard a bad thing about the Timestep or its designer (unless you count AOS, not sure that counts) and it specifically was designed to allow you to remove the sl1200 regulator as well. so £350 later off we go.

Was it worth it? Hell yes, everything I found adding the Longdog to the Pi again, happening to the Technics. The noise floor dropped hugely, I noticed much more punch, clarity and smoothness. All in more relaxed without losing anything.

Negatives? only one, the unit has no power switch and the one on the Turntable becomes redundant.
Bedroom Rig

Office Rig

Kitchen Rig