Inline hipass filter and cone-flap (or my Royds are flapping...)

All general audio posts go here.
tomblackford
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inline hipass filter and cone-flap (or my Royds are flapping...)

Unread post by tomblackford »

Hi,

Since moving from sealed speakers to some (amazing) ported Royd Sorcerers I have noticed some occasional cone flap.

I think my cart compliance (high compliance Denon DL-301mk2) / tonearm (low mass SME 3009 series 2 improved fixed headshell with fluid damper) match is ok, at least the numbers suggest so. I'm going through a Phono-1 which I guess doesn't have any subsonic highpass filter...

...perhaps none of this is an issue but just wondering if anybody has played with inline filters, like:

https://www.parts-express.com/harrison- ... a--266-246

I'm going to experiment with more fuild in the damper too, in case that helps.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Inline hipass filter and cone-flap (or my Royds are flapping...)

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

You might want to try abit less damping, the reason being is that it appears denon measure compliance at 100hz rather than 10. Audio technica do this too. The compliance at 10hz is roughly double the figure, but it is a rough estimate.
So the 301 compliance figure is probably somewhere between 20 and 25 not the 13 you might use. The sme fluid damper is more useful when putting a lower compliance cart in it, it aims to stop the tail wagging the dog when an low med compliance cart is used. Maybe lower the fd200 out of the way and try it with no damping rather than changing the fluid level of viscosity?

The ported cabs exert less control over the driver which may be why you are seeing a bit of cone flap
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

tomblackford
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Inline hipass filter and cone-flap (or my Royds are flapping...)

Unread post by tomblackford »

Thanks Ant!

That's a great idea, and even easier than adding more fluid... I can easily just turn the paddle up out of the trough and try again. Will do that tonight and let you know.