Many Questions

All general audio posts go here.
keepitsimplestupid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Many Questions

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I'm not sure what to make of the authenticity thread. Some people want measured accuracy others just want enjoyment however they can find it. They're not likely to agree on what sounds best after all they want different things. I find myself on the measured accuracy side of that fence, but I don't see why that personal choice should mean I have to belittle the choices of others. People want different stuff for different reasons, the trouble comes when they share parts of the same descriptive language to describe different things.

The measurists think 'hifi' just means numerical high fidelity, the lowest possible distortion, the other team take it to mean a sound which they experience as sounding like the live event or as they perceive the original recording should sound. They're both equally right, and equally wrong.

For example, Lindsay's wardrobes aren't my cup of tea, but it's great that they exist and that he enjoys them. We should celebrate the differences and enjoy the experiences.

Except jazz. ;-)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

People don't *listen* to enough alternatives, they only believe the guru claptrap either on forums or magazines. People need to have open minds not wide open wallets for the slurpers.

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

people also need to stop following the same old Hi-Fi rule book because they will never be happy.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Listen to as much kit as possible. Work out 'who' to listen to and who to ignore. Build your own knowledge. Share knowledge with others. Definitely embrace the differences.

My concern is about whether I am immersed in the music. Does it stir my soul, gird my loins, make me cry, swoon, sing and shout? I suppose I could measure endorphins, heart rate, the 'standyupness' of the hairs on my arms and back of my neck.

I would never need to argue with an objectivist. 1. I'm not qualified. 2. We are 'turned on' by different things.

I have no idea of the 'specs' of the kit that I own. I do value, though, the principles that underpin the design of that kit - simplicity, component quality, minimal compromise to the signal, add and take away as little as possible. Does that make me a tiny bit objectivist?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:32 pm Does that make me a tiny bit objectivist?
Nope !

Though you have an objective approach to being subjective :lol: