Sound quality in isolation

All general audio posts go here.
stin1954
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sound quality in isolation

Unread post by stin1954 »

Hi
What i am thinking is because it is all about the end result / Matching components, when you have no buddies into Hi fi no close dealer i find when you are reviewing mags with products it is difficult to position your own equipment EG i have got to a point where i have / think the front end is good and the speakers have really come good much better than when i purchased them.
How do i know if its better than reviews of other equipment, i suppose i have answered my own question you need to hear / compere other gear.

Karnevil9

Re: Sound quality inisolation

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

O dear relying on Reviews is a disaster waiting to happen in my past experiences.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Sound quality in isolation

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There are very few important things

1/ your music
2/ your experience = what you have heard or owned
3/ your taste and expectation, that you should expect to change, leading to.......
4/ an open mind

We only know what we know, we do not know what we have yet to find out, that is the fun !

Karnevil9

How is it possible to rely on a review when they know what they want their music presentation to sound like? I know what i want mine to sound like, its in your head, its an amazing thing how you can remember different kinds of system sounds you have owned before, i know if a certain so called upgrade is actually an upgrade or not comparing it to the memory of past systems, some people do not seem to have the ability to do that or more like they do not want to... What ever it takes to get that sound you want whether its breaking the Holy Audio enthusiast rules or not, im all for it. I use a professional Digital Sound processor with my Headphone unit, Hi-Fi nerd would send me to hell for that but it gives me what i want to hear simples.. The enjoyment of sound is you own personal domain, no one else, you do what is best for you.

I often think people are looking for an ultimate sound that does not exist & they will spend so much money & follow so much bull shite to try find it, i would not mind if they were actually getting anywhere :lol:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think most forums are populated by compulsive box swappers who are more interested in the equipment than the music. They spend thousands changing the sound without bringing about anything which can be classed as an improvement. A classic example is the owner of audio snooze or addicts. He changes components more often than his underwear. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Karnevil9

The amount of times ive seen something someone bought claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread to see it up for sale a few weeks down the line

:lol:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Karnevil9 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:27 pm The amount of times ive seen something someone bought claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread to see it up for sale a few weeks down the line

:lol:
Bigboy being a prime example.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

After a certain level - one that reveals recording / mastering differences the biggest upgrade is better sounding records and CDs. It certainly isn't wanky cables and fuses which make a much smaller difference than changing your source/speakers etc. People look for minutè in sound differences rather than reproduction of the musical whole. Compulsive box swapping is likely a result of poorly matched components and kit is often moved on without proper comparison or trying different combinations. I don't think these people actually listen to much music.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

kellerist
Hungary

Unread post by kellerist »

The same here, just on higher level. Small market, few dealers. There are many things that you have no chance to try. There are items you are able to listen to, but only in shops or showrooms. There are a few exceptions, for example you can bring home AQ and Furutech cables, but it's very rare. My decision about my new source system was based on reviews and forums. I'm happy with it, but I will never know if there was a better choice for the money. I simply didn't had the chance to compare. It was much easier with the amps and cables, the question was only that which NVA. When it became clear that my speakers don't fit in the system I tried to get some to try with my system in my home, but I've failed. I made several requests for offers, but I got nothing. And I mean nothing: not expensive offers, but simply nothing. At the moment in Hungary the only speakers that I was able to test on a try and buy basis were NVA Cubes. No comment, except my appreciation to Richard. (There is of course the general EU rule that you can send back anything ordered online in 14 days, but I'm simply not that kind.)
Now I'm very happy with the music, it's far beyond my expectations. But there was more hope and luck than experience based decision.

Karnevil9

Um ive heard it all before. Im happy yet next month youll be farting about with something else new

ADMIN EDIT - this is ad hominem, it is mild so I will not remove it but your post are moving this way. We have enjoyed you the last couple of weeks please don't ruin it again.