Project buy Musical Fidelity.

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Project buy Musical Fidelity.

Unread post by Classicrock »

Revealed in an interview with M Fremer Project head reveals the acquisition. Plans to reintroduce the A1 amplifier!

Also reveals John Westlake is designing digital products for Project.

[BBvideo=560,315]http://youtu.be/whDL3dxvwa4[/BBvideo]
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Karnevil9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Project buy Musical Fidelity.

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

I still have a mates Musical Fidelity 'V90LPS' superb sounding phono stage for peanuts price.. The Enclosure finish is beautiful.

Classicrock
Great Britain

I have the same in my 'office' system and it is indeed a bit of a gem for the money. I did a comparison with NVA and Arkless modded Cambridge on this forum. Pissed all over the Arkless.

Karnevil9

There is nothing worse than cheap made poor finished Hi-Fi.. MF are exemplary at quality.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I've had my M1 DAC for 8 years and it has been powered up for 99.99% of those 8 years; never missing a beat.
Still looks as good as the day it came out of the box.
Have not heard anything that gives me a reason to change it
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

MF used to offer good service to end-users as long as parts were available, but they weren't always good for dealers to deal with and they had something of a reputation in my day (I knew AM from his M&A valve amp days and never had an issue with him personally, unlike my bosses who had something of a fall-out, leaving us in the stores at something of a disadvantage...). I believe at one time if not now, Tim de P (EAR) had a hand in the designs of many popular items they marketed and Tim was one of the few able to design to order I remember. Some of the X series were excellent little boxes I remember.

As for Westlake, he seems to be something of a legend, but I've not liked any of his digital designs I've heard and the last stuff he did for Audiolab needed many firmware tweaks to tame them I remember from lengthy PFM discussions.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 am MF used to offer good service to end-users as long as parts were available, but they weren't always good for dealers to deal with and they had something of a reputation in my day (I knew AM from his M&A valve amp days and never had an issue with him personally, unlike my bosses who had something of a fall-out, leaving us in the stores at something of a disadvantage...). I believe at one time if not now, Tim de P (EAR) had a hand in the designs of many popular items they marketed and Tim was one of the few able to design to order I remember. Some of the X series were excellent little boxes I remember.

As for Westlake, he seems to be something of a legend, but I've not liked any of his digital designs I've heard and the last stuff he did for Audiolab needed many firmware tweaks to tame them I remember from lengthy PFM discussions.
I wasn't suggesting Westlake being involved is a positive thing. I get the impression that in the long term many people disliked the presentation of the M DAC. Chinese reverse engineered it after he went but don't know if later Audiolab product is an improvement.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Ive had quite a bit of mf stuff, have a soft spot for them. still have an xlps which is still good for the money, not worth the 150-200 quid people will pay for them these days, bit us very well built and looks cool. Nicks Ph1 mm stage at 200 quid is far better, but doesn't look as cool
😎
The x series was great, built like a tank and sounded very good at the time. I had a full x series setup, (xa1, xlps, xray, xplora x24k dac and an xcans), the xray was a gem, a lovely cd player that I still look out for.
Had an a3 amp that was really nice too back in 2001.

Nothing mf have done since has been anything but a me too box. No design flair. Most of the big firms are the same, not really caring that people buy with their eyes first. Something looks fab, you are interested, so you look into if further. Something looks drab, you probably won't look further.

Cyrus gear has looked the same for 30 years, its recognisable, its different to the norm, and it looks cool in an industrial kind of way. People buy a valve amp with their eyes, that steampunkt visual makes them interesting and cool and different. Cyrus and valve amps have nothing in common at all apart from the fact that they are not generic silver or black boxes. Thats what the x series was. And why it is so popular on the second hand market.

The nu vista gear was absolutely fab to me though, I heard a nu vista system back in the day when they were new and still lust after it now.

Too much bling though with the gold trim.

Hopefully project can steer mf back on track. They seem to get that people buy with their eyes with their mid to high range turntables and that 'box' range is ever so cutesy looking especially with the teak 70s esque sleeve thing that you can get for the boxes to go in.
Perhaps the mojo can be regained.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

joe

Unread post by joe »

I read the thread title as 'Project: buy Musical Fidelity'; ie as if it was a coordinated campaign for everyone to rush out and buy Musical Fidelity products. (I own just the one, the original cylindrical head phone amp, which I bought from KJ Leisuresound many many years ago.

Karnevil9

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 am I believe at one time if not now, Tim de P (EAR) had a hand in the designs of many popular items they marketed and Tim was one of the few able to design to order I remember. Some of the X series were excellent little boxes I remember.
The 'Digilog' DAC i used to have.