CD player with track memory or track delete?

All general audio posts go here.
alanterr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CD player with track memory or track delete?

Unread post by alanterr »

I'm looking to replace my ageing Sony CD player but I can't find anything that's as convenient to use as my old one from 1993. I have looked into hard disc based machines like the Brennan B2, but I would much rather stick with my physical CDs -I like to browse along the shelves , wondering what to play and not knowing what that will be until my eye hits upon a familiar cover. I buy obscure music from all round the globe, and I wouldn't be able to search on a text-only list for a particular album as some are in Russian or Japanese and I wouldn't know what they are called in English.
Now, many of my CDs have two or three tracks I don't like - typically the bonus tracks which are just alternate takes or live versions of the same track I already have, so at present what I do is go to the delete button, remove those tracks and press file-save and then these tracks are stored in the CD players permanent memory and I never hear them again. But this wonderful CD player won't play CD-Rw and is hit and miss with CD-Rs so I need to move on. But I can't find a single CD player that stores tracks in memory like this (it was called 'Custom File' at the time.) Now I could compromise on one where I had to remove those tracks each time I played the CD, but if say I have a16 track Cd, and I want to remove tracks 15 and 16, I have to program track one followed by track two etc right up to 14. It would be simpler to press delete then just select 15 and 16, but I've only found one player that will do this -the Marantz CD2006. So has anyone found anything currently on the market that is any better than this?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: CD player with track memory or track delete?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

IMO If your old Sony is working why replace it, nothing newer is better. Or change to a Sony player of the same era (their best) that does what you want. Personally I don't know about or care about the *facilities* all I want is good music, if I don't like a track I move the needle :lol:

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Whats the sony machine?

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

If you have a digital output then consider an external DAC.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

alanterr

The Sony I have is a CDP-911E. It works fine with normal CDs but its too old to know about CD-RWs and it's fickle about CD-Rs. I can record one and it'll play fine and then another day it will start playing and the time figure goes up but there's no sound, or it will refuse to recognise the disc altogether. That's why I want a more modern machine. I've already repalced the laser in one of these, then bought a second hand one of the same model, but although I don't mind buying say a 5 year old amchine, it seems futile to buy a 25 year old machine like this as it will doubtless have the same faults.

And the note about 'consider an external DAC' -I don't understand that -I do have an optical output on the CD player, but how would connecting something to its output help?

Karnevil9

Like that on the back of my Sony CD player. Its just that im using a Coax instead of the TOSLINK..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49285&start=10

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If you want the most flexibility then the answer is a pro player like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-DN-300 ... SwvzRXyDm3

Karnevil9

Aye & i think Denon do one of those machines for WAV files too..

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

alanterr wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:57 pm
And the note about 'consider an external DAC' -I don't understand that -I do have an optical output on the CD player, but how would connecting something to its output help?
It would not help your main problem with home recorded CDs one little bit.

It might make everything else sound better, but optical out only is a tad more complicated.

alanterr

Thanks for that tip - I'll have a read through the manual for that Denon model - it does at least have more buttons than most!