Cheap DAC

All general audio posts go here.
Karnevil9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cheap DAC

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

I recently decided to get my Sony CD player out of storage, after a little listen it dawned on me why i put it away in the first place. Although an excellent sounding machine in general i found that it was too loud mostly cymbal crashes are unbearably sizzly. After noticing The DOC & DSJR Championing a fiver DAC i thought why not, anything is worth a try..

After installing the DAC with the included cheap TOSLINK cable & USB power lead i was not too impressed. Now i have a better power supply & Good quality COAX cable, all the issues i had originally with the machine are gone, no more harsh sound & no more over loud player. A miracle to say the least. Ive even fitted it to the back pannel of the machine with a strong two sides foam self adhesive pad out the way..

Thanks you two.. Now im happy to dump Vinyl for good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-to-A ... 2749.l2649

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Cheap DAC

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Sure that's a good idea Andr'e? I'm the last one to praise vinyl, but I couldn't ever get rid of all my records and I enjoy the ritual of playing them from time to time...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am afraid I have to defend my hi-fi Guru status CV :mrgreen: :geek:

Dave has one because he heard mine, I discovered it, well the combination that makes it work - so there :naughty:

I had this problem back with the Pioneer PL71, Gromit heard mine and bought one, now people say Gromit discovered it :naughty: :naughty:

It is obvious that a forum Guru status is important for credibility, and there are many many false Gurus out there in hi-fi forum land. As in life finding the right Guru is essential :ugeek: :shifty: :whistle:

:lol:

Karnevil9

Dave: The missus went ape shit when i said i was getting shut of the records. He responce was bleep bleep beep here we go a bleeping-gen. Round & round in circles :oops:

Yep fanks DOC. Thing is Hi-Fi knobs would not touch one because of the prices regardless how it sounds :doh:

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

"Two sided foam adhesive pads" and a bit of bluetak over the overly bright LED, thats a good shout Karnevil and then the visiting Hi Fi nobs never need know exactly what they are listening too.

Must make a note to track down and buy some double sided foam pads!!
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The sticky pads idea is a good one as mine just hangs around.

There would be a lot of :shock: :-? if the knobs try it. Maybe they would question how they have been ripped off with decades of slurping and wake their silly little brains up for a change. 'Cos their ears will wake up.

:epopc:

Andy-831
Great Britain

Docs recommended power supply has just dropped through the door, so looking forward to a play tonight.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
NVA BMU.
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.

Karnevil9

This is the pad, Opted for Scotch 3M so it dont fall off :lol:

30mm x 30mm Sq double sided foam pad is whats needed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Pads-Stro ... 2749.l2649

Andy-831
Great Britain

Top stuff and ordered.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
NVA BMU.
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Karnevil9 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 pm Dave: The missus went ape shit when i said i was getting shut of the records. He responce was bleep bleep beep here we go a bleeping-gen. Round & round in circles :oops:

Yep fanks DOC. Thing is Hi-Fi knobs would not touch one because of the prices regardless how it sounds :doh:
The Doc showed me the USB-SPDIF converter he had found for twenty quid (audiophiles were buying the HiFace I think at multiples more money) and that started it. The dac was so cheap I bought one with a tidy wall-wart and it sounded ok and not fatiguing, as does the Behringer twenty odd quid thing, but it wasn't until I heard it with the larger DC 5V supply that I thought "Hang on..." I had a Chinee 9V adjustable supply I'd made up using an expensive potted 30VA toroid with paralleled 12V secondary's ( https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toroidal ... s/2238538/ ) originally intended for my ceramic cartridge buffer (1.5m input impedance), and this was easily tweaked down to 5V for the dac.

Thing is, Naimies and old Quad preamp lovers would really appreciate this dac as it's not so high an output as the 2V convention. The preamp input circuits wouldn't risk being overloaded and you could use more of the volume control too.. Up there's I say :grin:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...