Hi-Fi Shows

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Hi-Fi Shows

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CN211276 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 am Am pleased the show went well. There are still favourable comments on PFM. From what I have read it would appear that the average age of attendees was no younger than at other hifi shows, correct me if I am wrong. This is disappointing as admission was free with a complementary beveridge. The starter NVA system is likely to appeal most to young first time buyers. Some young people appreciate good music. It appears that the average age of those attending the recent Rolling Stones concert I was at was considerably younger than at the show with the cheapest tickets costing three figure sums and drinks £5.
Where was that? I missed the free drink. Nobody told me about it.

Although to be fair, the show was brilliant value for money (for visitors anyway). Free parking and free entry.

Is anyone who exhibited allowed and prepared to say how much it cost them?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

My little room for the show was £1200, and my hotel room for staying was £150 for the two nights.

Lindsayt
Nauru

I didn't think it would be that much to exhibit. Didn't someone say that the break-even point for Scalford was something like £3k to £5k?

It does put a bit of perspective on my £5 to £20 cost to exhibit at Scalford (when Wam was under the JamPal regime). :-?

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 pm I didn't think it would be that much to exhibit. Didn't someone say that the break-even point for Scalford was something like £3k to £5k?
No idea, but the room at this show were 40% less than I used to pay for two days at Whittlebury.

Lindsayt
Nauru

The NVA room contained a system that one could buy for less than the cost to exhibit. :clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have always felt that all I had to do was get people to listen to NVA and they would understand and sales and business would be automatic, no marketing required, the product would sell itself. Well this has been largely true so I was deluded enough to think that hi-fi shows would be an extension of that. Well for the reasons I have stated, like the sound level interference, the unfocused attitude of people as there is so much to hear, the SQ downward spiral as the show fires up creating a general fall towards lowest common denominator, losing the magic. So I have decided (yet again) shows are not my way, but I am in the National in September, so I will rethink how I do it, change my expectations. Sadly at the show I was largely preaching to the converted, most people who stayed to listen were users and there were lots of them, which is good and to meet customers is good, so it might be worth doing it just for that.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Maybe there is some mileage at these shows in using one of those expensive mains regenerators. I always had the theory that they had a market in flats/apartments were many users cause problems with supply quality. Otherwise it's bring your own portable power generator which likely use would be frowned upon. With regard to lack of attention from visitors - At shows I work on the basis of poking my head in a room for a few seconds. From this I generally get an idea if it's making a sound worth listening to, playing at sufficient volume and playing decent music that would give me some basis for judging performance. In the later respect playing Dire Straits is likely more fruitful than Rage Against The Machine but no (puke) Diana Krall or Yelo please (Vicar Martin's Favs). :lol:
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

"Playing at sufficient volume" generally isn't an issue whenever I've attended shows. Rather the problem has been that they have the volume far too high for the space they're in with shit bass that's all over the place!
I'm very rarely impressed at Hi-Fi shows I have to say but I still like going just to get my hands on exquisitely made, (even if shite sounding), equipment. I just like nice things. :grin:
I'm always impressed by the exhibitors who are happy to play whatever CD/LP the listener provides, I think that shows a confidence in their product. Having said that, some of the music may not be the best! One time this guy handed over his favourite CD so he could have a listen - Take That ! You've never seen a room empty so fast in your life, so many of us are such snobs! Now I don't own any Take That but we sat there and listened along with them - it was fine. :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I have encountered rooms where the volume is too low and people talking at the back of the room to the exhibitor becomes a distraction. (Usually playing Classical music).
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

This is all why the only real way to do this is either purchase with a return guarantee or a loan scheme, I am doing both.

Classic - BBPSU - I will have loan one in a couple of weeks I think you wanted to borrow it, and others who had loan requests on the old threads please post your requests in the nva loan room as new threads.