Hi-Fi Shows

All general audio posts go here.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Hi-Fi Shows

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Classicrock wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 am I have encountered rooms where the volume is too low and people talking at the back of the room to the exhibitor becomes a distraction. (Usually playing Classical music).
People talking over the dems is a fact of life at hi-fi shows. It's a pet peeve of mine.
I blew a referee's whistle once because of it. The reaction was shall we say interesting :mrgreen:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

keepitsimplestupid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Thanks for the offer of loaner gear Doc.

Here's an idea for the National. Why not get some cards printed out prior to the event. People fill in their details on the card and you send them a loaner. Do a set of cards for each item in the line up, so people can pick and choose what they want. You start to build a contact list of potentials and you can filter them based on intent to buy. Obviously you need to filter the wheat from the chaff, include a listen multiple choice questionnaire allowing you to drill down their tastes, expenditure etc.

Roll your demo's during the day. Give people a reason to come back later to hear different kit. This works wonders when I've done large demo's with kitesurfing kit and push-bikes. Publish the times prior to the event and that allows people to turn up at the best time for them and what they are interested in.

There's loads of simple ways to make show time more effective, and mostly brands go no further than a bowl of sweets.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The problem is to control it I have to have them as forum members, I can't chance it with feet off the street. I would love other forums to do it with us as well and with other products, but they wont obviously, TAS did it for awhile until their trade members got angry (yet they are not supposed to have trade members) and the Dunn hater threatened to leave so they stopped it, to a lot of annoyance from most members.

I struggle with marketing professionalism as you know, it is not my ballgame and I am in distaste with a lot of it. For me it will be small moves to make people more aware, so the product can promote / market itself.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It will seem strange but I am not looking for more business as such, I have enough, I just want more people to own it. The starter system is what is behind this, I make not much money, nearly a loss leader, but I want it to bring people into the product awareness. Where it was wrong at the show was people were comparing for main systems. I am looking for kitchen, bedroom, bedsit, kids who want real hi-fi, students etc. Richer Sounds do well with this market, but I know if I get a starter system in within time the main system becomes NVA, this has been proved in the past as many members here will verify - the problem is to get people to make the first step.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Here's an idea for the National. Why not get some cards printed out prior to the event. People fill in their details on the card and you send them a loaner.
And you run straight into the GDPR (as you know I am sure).

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Very good point.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Surely, a simple "by filling in your details you are consenting to blah, blah, blah," would sort that.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

zebbo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:11 am Surely, a simple "by filling in your details you are consenting to blah, blah, blah," would sort that.
No, because you then have to allow the removal of that consent and a way of providing what details you have one anyone. You could argue that its for the purpose of business, then that may allow you to get away with it. Whenever possible avoid consent as a reason for holding data.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't want to hold any ones data. I rely on eBay and Paypal to retrieve inf of customers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Hi-Fi shows are a business. As many feet as possible and as many rooms as possible, but the bigger it gets the less it serves its supposed purpose. They become a day out not a way to establish what makes best music. For companies it is marketing and "look at me" all artificial bling, salesmen, posters and "we must impress", but sadly not so much with the music.