What should I do with my old LP12?

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: What should I do with my old LP12?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Not a V15 III in that arm.

AT520 is a possibility (the Leicsester Linn chap suggests it as a cheaper K9 replacement if a Klyde is out). Maybe a Sumiko Pearl for a period sound...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I think a Jelco is too high mass arm for a V15III. If you want genuine vintage low mass an SME III is the ticket. There is a member here who makes the Sole subchassis. I think he may be able to help with arm boards. I'm sure there are a number of other third party makers out there. Why not go more vintage and mount an SPU (still made) in the Jelco. BTW I thought Linn were same fixing and geometry to Jelco who I believe once made the Linn arms.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

It is I, Leclerc
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

Classicrock wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:05 am I think a Jelco is too high mass arm for a V15III. If you want genuine vintage low mass an SME III is the ticket. There is a member here who makes the Sole subchassis. I think he may be able to help with arm boards. I'm sure there are a number of other third party makers out there. Why not go more vintage and mount an SPU (still made) in the Jelco. BTW I thought Linn were same fixing and geometry to Jelco who I believe once made the Linn arms.
Thanks for the info CR, that may well be a deciding factor in any final decision, to be honest the V15 was just a quick thought off the top of my head, no decision made really. The reason for using the Jelco is that it's already there so there's no major expense involved for what is just a daft little project. The SPU may be worth a thought though :) . Linn are 211mm spindle/pivot and the 750D is 214mm, not a lot of difference and many just slide the cart in the headshell slots to avoid faff. I guess I'm just a bit anal :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

SME III sounds too much like the 80's era Lp12 to be really effective I found - a 309 though ;)... The Pro-Ject 9C? arm from the LP12 Majik puts some zing back I think...

The LP12 has huge brand loyalty to it and recent reading proves that almost all the parts in it have changed since the late 80's, despite it looking the same.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Best thing to do with a LP12.

Stick on a long pole in the middle of the garden, soak it in Paraffin and set light to it. Dance around it singing "good feckin' riddance".

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

And you dont like LP12 because its a Linn product?

:whistle:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No because it is a shit copy of someone else's design they stole. And made a fortune out of theft.

It is I, Leclerc

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

Hmm. I can see there are certain things to avoid here!
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:37 pm No because it is a shit copy of someone else's design they stole. And made a fortune out of theft.
I have no argument with what they did in the past but that was nearly half a century ago. The same could be said of VW who made use of a lot of Tatra technology in the original Beetle (without which, of course, VW Audi would not exist). There again there's always Apple, hopefully you wouldn't ever use any of their products with their reputation for thievery.

https://mashable.com/2012/10/27/apple-s ... mJfsU8KZql

No doubt the potential list is very large but I don't let things like that worry me these days. My idea was simply to create a sound from that period and they were pretty much ubiquitous in the UK at the time.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its just me, the others here just let it pass, I don't, even though it is a long long time ago. You don't need to avoid them the same, as I cannot resist to comment.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

What the Glasgow mafia and Salisbury stooges got away with was reprehensible and should not be forgotten. Ivor was probably the biggest purveyor of bullshit of the 20th Century bar Adolf Hitler. In 1980 i had a letter published in Popular HiFi telling it as it was and I did not know half of it then. Ivor responded in the magazine with two pages of :Bllocks: . Copies are in the archieve here.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc