What should I do with my old LP12?

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: What should I do with my old LP12?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Thanks for the info :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Wet Cotlake wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 pm
Hmm, actually there were many versions of the Goldring Lenco GL 75/78. As they were out sourced and therefore rebadged, you want to find the best version. For example, HMV versions were top of range with sprung chassis and more importantly the metal idler wheel. To get the best you need to dig deep into the marque to understand all the iterations.

Being a seller of GL75's and 78's when they were new, I'd ask for proof of the fact that Lenco out-sourced these models with concurrent versions internally. The basic drive system was unchanged for decades, but the idler did develop as time went on, the metal one (multi-hole and then two-hole) being judged better in the late 60's or whenever it was, over the plastic one used before. It was discussed in my long chucked-out Hi Fi Sound mags.

The 75 used to be mounted in a sprung plinth, the deck plate sitting on grommets at each corner and two screws under the platter basically held it in place. The 78 and similar era 75's went to a spring system on a solid plinth around 1974 from memory - My first proper deck was a GL75 previously used in a cabinet bought as an 18th birthday present and Goldring let me have their last sprung base (with early Linn style lid plus stay). I'm not sure if this was actually 'better' to be honest, but the integral springs meant that these decks could be fitted into a 'music centre' successfully and my Dads old Dynatron had a GL78 in it which I serviced and fitted an AT95E - sounded good too as the amp had also been serviced properly prior to my getting it for Dad. There were versions of the better Goodmans receivers with decks in the top. often Garrard Zero 100's but I think the GL75 went in too. The last 75's had the smaller edge chamfer 78 platter too which made sense - the 78 mat was slightly larger diameter and went closer to the platter edge. Of course there were others who own-plinthed re-badged versions and Leak and others? used fancier controls too, but I don't think the innards were any different from stock production from memory. I believe all the mods made were evolutionary with a time-scale but could be mistaken.

I don't mean to be a pain here and if the above is wrong, I'd love to read of it.

Ant or anyone - If you have any later Lenco springs (shallow type as used with the GL78 and also a GL78 plinth (and cover?) in fair condition, I'd be interested. I have a really nice GL78 chassis which I'm not going to butcher, but it needs a plinth and the suspension springs for it as the deck won't mount properly in the earlier Goldring plinth I have here.

Lastly - and I relay this from a pal who had over twenty lenco's in his loft a few years ago - they've gone now... Some GL75's not stored properly rust underneath he told me. The best condition ones were in chunky Sony plinths (I remember the GL78 version they did but not the 75, although I have pics of it somewhere). Since any that Ant gets are immediately carved up, it probably doesn't matter, but I'm all for keeping things as original as possible and maybe looking at that eastern Europe damped uni-pivot I discussed a week or so back, as apparently it sits straight in a Lenco arm-hole and may not need butchering to work with the original lenco cueing device fittings (un-tried, but who knows...). I still think a replacement L75 arm-tube/arm wand complete would be interesting as apparently, it's very difficult to re-wire let alone do anything else with it.

This look nicely made and I think I've seen 9"versions too....

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index ... ic=28906.0

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

A lot of money when an aluminium tube is ample for this deck ;) Thanks for finding the link though.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Karnevil9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

I know what to do with it, Pretty much do what should be done with all turntables

:grin:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

There was a slight chance a couple of years ago for me to acquire some LP12 cast-off parts in the hope of bodging a bitser-deck together for old times sake. I was quite looking forward to the possibility as the looks are still timeless and I had many hours of enjoyment from the different samples I had at home (plinth colour changes mainly, no other reason to change them as upgrades were done as they became available). I since discovered that at least two big Linn dealer people keep all the traded-in parts if the clients don't want them back and do this themselves, selling rebuilt and warranted refurbished decks for a grand or more, thus keeping scrap parts to a minimum unless they're worn out or wrecked bearings or motors.. It would have been a nice trip down memory lane if nothing else...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

So you feel like telling us you had a chance of owning one. Bit like me sharing with you all the chances I missed to avoid a stroke :doh:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

You posted the above because DQ???? No, don't bother answering, I don't want to hear it any more.

I owned several samples of LP12 over the course of twelve years and set up literally hundreds more. A couple of years ago I felt kind of nostalgic and had the possibility of building one for old times sake. Far better to actually use old skills in making one and to use one again, if only to remind ones-self how far things have moved on...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Is there any chance you could make a relevant point or begin a thread called dsjr rambles on

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:00 pm So you feel like telling us you had a chance of owning one. Bit like me sharing with you all the chances I missed to avoid a stroke :doh:
That did make me spit my beer...

...we need an emoji for that.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

It is I, Leclerc
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

Forgive me father for I have sinned, mea culpa, but that's the way the mop flops sometimes.
I have an LP12 lurking, unused for a long time, in a dark recess somewhere. It's pretty old (82ish) and currently armless, it's still AC but has a Cirkus conversion and Trumpolin base. The reason I've kept it is because I also have an unused Jelco 750D and I wanted to put them together to create a mid '70s-mid '80s sound.The thing holding me up with this less than sensible project is finding a suitably drilled armboard as I have neither the facilities, tools nor inclination to DIY that part of the job. The difference between the Jelco mounting and a Linn is only 3mm or so and that could be lost with a suitably slotted headshell but I like to do things as they should be. I thought the Jelco was close enough to the 3009/Acos, etc. arms in concept to make a suitable mate for an LP12 of that period.
All I need after the armboard is something like a V15 III and Bob's your parental sibling, but no rush. Having done all that I'll probably use it for one or two sessions a year and leave it to gather dust for the other 363 days. I was never any good at being sensible.