What do we think about record clamps?

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: What do we think about record clamps?

Unread post by zebbo »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:18 pm I considered a reason why they would work. I couldn't think of one so I never botherd with empiricism.
That's not very subjective for a subjectivist! :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You can't try everything. I tried them and it turned out a waste of time on two occasions, one with a screw down (sold it) and one with a weight one, neither did anything but damage records and potentially lessen bearing life. I still have the heavy one it is a paper weight now, anyway it wont go down over the G99 spindle. Its main purpose now is holding down P20s so I can test listen to them as anything above SC in stiffness has them tipping up or farting around on the work surface.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I haven't tried 130 quid fuses as well

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

I dont use one for any sound improvements what so ever. I use the Michell clamp for one reason only, If i have a not flat record.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I wouldn't bother with a fuse even at £1, take the bloody thing out and replace with bar or hard wire. the regs are out of date with a modern CU there is no longer any need.

Absolute stoopidity beyond the level of normal stoopidity and into the realms of complete nutty fruitcake stoooooooooooooooopidity is to install a mains system that doesn't need fuses, and yet still uses fuses, and yet then replace them with £130 fuses - who MartinT.

Can anyone on this planet see the logic or sense in that. PLEASE someone make excuses for him. Give me a reason.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

They have to sell plugs with fuses to be compatible with older electrical installations. It appears everything in the last 20 years has to have a moulded plug. Once had to wire your own but I guess there are too many idiots out there. Everything has to be idiot proof. I've noticed now new hi-fi equipment coming with both a uk lead and a schuko lead.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You can still take the bloody stoopid thing out. They say that is dangerous, not at all, nothing will explode, the worse that can happen is your CU trips. Where as these illegal SR fuses used in UK 13 amp plugs WILL EXPLODE IF THEY FUSE as they contain no damper as in sand or quartz crystal. That explosion could cause fire but will certainly damage your plug and socket

That is the lunacy in this.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

In the case of Martin T most of his kit will be IEC so he could easily swap for Schuko leads and socket. Problem he invested £1000's in wanky mains cables with fused UK plugs.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

EGO, so can't let go and change his mind, exactly the same as his nemesis Marco who he is morphing into, probably without realising it.

Thermionic Idler
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Thermionic Idler »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:06 pm You can still take the bloody stoopid thing out. They say that is dangerous, not at all, nothing will explode, the worse that can happen is your CU trips. Where as these illegal SR fuses used in UK 13 amp plugs WILL EXPLODE IF THEY FUSE as they contain no damper as in sand or quartz crystal. That explosion could cause fire but will certainly damage your plug and socket

That is the lunacy in this.
I'm intrigued to know why internal equipment fuses don't have the same requirement for sand filler - that little 5x20 fuse integrated into the IEC inlet is effectively in the same circuit as the plug fuse at the other end - so why is it safe to have a non-sand filled fuse in the inlet, but not in the plug? Is it because they are designed to blow a lot faster than BS1363 plug fuses, and therefore generate a lot less potential heat in the process?