What do we think about record clamps?

All general audio posts go here.
Thermionic Idler
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What do we think about record clamps?

Unread post by Thermionic Idler »

Anyone use them? Or not?

Up until recently I was using a Herbies "Record Stabilizer" - basically a lightish weight hockey puck with the centre drilled out and some sorbothane-like material on the bottom edge. The idea being that it would have the same effect as a high mass clamp (neutralising stray vibrations) but not put excessive load on the main bearing - at the time my 301 was still on its original. I've never used a high mass clamp. (I'm always amused by the claim that they flatten out warps).

Recently though. I tried playing records with and without it, and frankly couldn't hear a jot of difference, so since then I haven't bothered. One less thing to faff with. Anyone find them beneficial?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: What do we think about record clamps?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Unimportant on all the TT I have used.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Important on some turntables depending on design. Michell Orbe clamp is pretty much integral to the design unless all your records are perfectly flat. Always find Michell decks have the correct sound balance with clamp which is puzzling when they stopped the clamp as standard on certain models. Something like the PLX1000 doesn't really need a clamp with standard mat and is designed for DJ use in any case. The Orbe clamp is probably the only design other than a suction system that will flatten most warps. It is a screw down design and slightly lifts the center with a ring underneath the record, pressing down the record towards the edges when attached. Just placing a heavy weight at the centre likely won't have much effect.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

joe

Unread post by joe »

I've never used one or thought about using one. But now I will obsess over record clamps. (Only joking. Or am I?)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I use an Audio Technica Disc Stabiliser on my 401. I tried a few different things and they were all very subtle including the AT. The exception, though, was the Michell clamp. I've used one on other turntables to good effect but on the Garrard it robbed the music of all life, weird. I guess it's also very closely linked to whatever mat you're using but trying all combinations would be mind-numbing and expensive.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

davjam13
Great Britain

Unread post by davjam13 »

I was recently setting up a friends Project experience which he brought over (he's not very hands on) it comes with a clamp, at the time I was using a Basis 1400 deck with which I used a michell camp, I also have a record weight which is handy as it has a spirit level included, after setting up his deck we tried the three different clamping arrangements and there were definable differences between all three we did the same thing with the Basis and again they were there to hear, neither of these decks use a mat, maybe that could have an effect.
Cleardio performance D.C.Turntable MCRU PSU Clearaudio Clarify arm Clearaudio Virtuoso v2 Ebony MM cartridge
Project cd box DS
pioneer vsx 531
interrconnects all Nva ssc
Nva ls3 biwire speaker cable
Linn Tukans front
monitor audio radius centre

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I considered a reason why they would work. I couldn't think of one so I never botherd with empiricism.

Shamanic

Unread post by Shamanic »

Use to have an Oracle t/t which had a clamp as part of the set up.
Most records ended up cracked around the spindle hole in my experience.
I use a resomat from Trans-Fi which I Prefer over any clamp I have tried on various t/t's.

keepitsimplestupid

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I think a lot depends on the deck and also on what you wish to achieve with them.

If you want to add damping by forcing the record into firmer contact with the mat/platter then a screw down one or a heavy clamp can do this. A heavy one also increases the load on the bearing spindle and quite often increases noise. There are some crazy multi-KG+ weights out that just seems nuts for many bearing designs.

If you're running a felt mat or an acrylic platter then it seems an odd choice. Likewise on suspended decks with weak springs, LP12, Gyro etc. On something like an SME though it makes sense, the mat is concave, the cut out deeper and it's a screw down job of limited mass. Also, the bearing precision is off the scale so a couple of hundred grams isn't likely to be audible. It's a high mass design the modest weight doesn't upset the apple cart and the screw thread is relatively fine so you can fine-tune the effect. I had a SME10/V combo a few years back and it sounded fine, sounded better with the clamp in place, not too tight.

When I see guys using 2kg, 3kg weights, on old idler drives, or decks with known poor bearing machining (Tom Fletcher) I just don't see the point, that's accelerated bearing wear waiting to happen, and having personally measured up to 3db more rumble in these circumstances I'd shy away from it. But people will do what they do.

My own deck is 50/50 Kuzma Stabi and LP12. It uses LP12 bearing (with thrust pad) sub-platter and platter. I'm not that bothered about bearing noise as it uses a Teflon pad, but Teflon drifts under load so too much mass probably isn't a long-term solution. So I run a magnetic clamp; it's light (100g), adjustable and has about 1kg of attraction to the spindle. So it clamps like a much heavier piece but without the bearing load increase and concomitant noise. That seems to work well, it helps with the solidity of bass notes and helps to keep those few records I have with warps that little bit flatter. It's no periphery clamp in that respect buy every little helps.

I think for many people it's just one more thing to fiddle with for fun and fine-tuning and that's great. For some, it's all about big-dick weights and fancy wood and metal combinations and showing off their bank balance/stupidity. That's where it gets stupid especially once the marketers get involved with bullshit claims and made up science.

But each to there own, it's just music.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The Gyrodec is one design that was meant to be clamped (though it's optional). Lightweight clamp so no weight on the bearing. The idea is the platter is of a material similar to vinyl and the record closely attached makes a complete coupling for damping purposes. With a felt mat on a metal platter the idea is to decouple the record and reduce any platter ringing. Sort of the opposite design philosophy. I believe Oracle is same idea as Michell using a soft plastic mat. Originally I believe Oracle used something similar to the Dumpa mat. I used one on a TD160 but having left it in storage for years it became a sticky mess on the surface and I binned it. Doing something wrong if records are cracking round the hole. Never happened so far with Michell Gyro or Orbe. You should not over tighten the clamp.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)