Cube?

All general audio posts go here.
kellerist
Hungary

Cube?

Unread post by kellerist »

It seems that my good old Tannoys doesn't match my system anymore. I'm not sure whether it is a size or a quality problem. The Tannoys are D80 floor standers, my living room is 13' x 27'. The new system consist of a NAS, Auralic Aries, AQ Diamond, Chord 2Qute, TIS, P20 (temporarily, will be replaced by a TCS), TIS, A80s, TSCS. It's hard to describe what I feel and (I think that) hear: the overall sound quality of the system is improved, but I think that it could be better and I hear every weakness of the speakers now. The speakers choke the system. I always thought that good sound requires size, but maybe my room is simply too small for floor standers, and the right solution would be some good stand mounted. I will try to check some speakers available here, but of course I'd like to know which Cube would fit my system and my room best. Please, let me know what you think!

Daniel Quinn

Re: Cube?

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Only you can tell, now if only they did a no quibble returns policy after 30 days. ;)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have some big semi omni 3 ways with isobaric big bastard bass cube speakers in a small room and it sounds damn fine to me. Its bigger than a broom cupboard though :lol: That being said you would be a fool not to try some cubes :epopc:
DIY FREE ZONE

kellerist
Hungary

Some, but which? 1? X?

kellerist
Hungary

More to the point, I understand the 30 day return policy, but I'd hate to misuse it. I could send back something without scruple if I've done everything toward the right decision. That's why I asked you folks.
:guiness;

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I'm using Cube 1s in a 17' x 15' room. It is certainly a big sound, but never boomy or bloated. I also have Cube 3s in my office. The 3s are still decent in the main room, but the 1s are better - more headroom, ease and scale.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The best you can afford, it always makes me laugh when what Tannoys really are is shown up, they are used so often in systems that mask it. BUT saying that there are people who are either so used to what they do or genuinely like the oddity, they are fine they have decided with their own ears. Me I couldn't live with any of them.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Yes get some proper speakers :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

I would try Cube 2's you may find they are all you need but it will let you know if you could go down to 3's or need to go up to 1's.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

When I bought the Cube 3s it seemed that the system was previously being strangled by the Dynaudio speakers. The other NVA components were in place. I chose the Cube 3s because of the small dedicated listening area of the room. To start with they sounded best a few inches away from the wall. After a few weeks I found they worked best as close to the wall as possible, still towed in. One had also been moved further away from a corner. It is making me wonder if larger Cubes would work in the confined space. They would need to be close to the wall so I would not have much leeway for positioning.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc