Speakon V Bananna Plugs

All general audio posts go here.
montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Speakon V Bananna Plugs

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Appreciating this is almost a moot point as Bananna has become the standard fitment for all residential amps and speakers over the years, however for a DIY build its something I'm considering.

Bannana Plugs have always struck me as a less than secure contraption whereas the Speakon plugs lock and seem much sturdier.

Anyone ever compared them from a sound perspective?
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Speakon V Bananna Plugs

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Z plugs (4mm variation).

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have used them and did not notice any difference. Also used them for DC umbilical's.

I like the way they are lockable. I would use two of them though so the send and return cabled can be distanced (like nva). Also i think it might prevent shorting the power amp and the magic smoke that ensues.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

montechristo358
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:16 pm I have used them and did not notice any difference. Also used them for DC umbilical's.

I like the way they are lockable. I would use two of them though so the send and return cabled can be distanced (like nva). Also i think it might prevent shorting the power amp and the magic smoke that ensues.

Stu
aha so your saying keep +ve and -ve speaker cables as far apart as possible? I suppose that makes sense with the whole low capacitance thing
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

montechristo358
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:02 pm Z plugs (4mm variation).
better than bananna? or better than both?
Bedroom Rig

Office Rig

Kitchen Rig

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Better because simpler. Bare wire is better to begin with but goes off very quickly unless tinned and cleaned and tightened regularly. I like Z plugs because of the sharp edges they clean and remake contact every time you use them, and they are easy to use in manufacture.

Speakons to me are over complicated and unnecessary.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 pm Better because simpler. Bare wire is better to begin with but goes off very quickly unless tinned and cleaned and tightened regularly. I like Z plugs because of the sharp edges they clean and remake contact every time you use them, and they are easy to use in manufacture.

Speakons to me are over complicated and unnecessary.
In a domestic environment I completely agree, the Speakons on my Quad 707 stick out a long way and in other configurations would make housing it a problem.

In professional applications Speakons offer some huge advantages, like maintaining polarity, and out perform the 1/4" jack every time.