gyrodec tonearm combo

All general audio posts go here.
petermanc1234
Has thanked: 0

gyrodec tonearm combo

Unread post by petermanc1234 »

What is the best tonearm mc cartridge combination with this deck. I am using the Docs Phono 1 M.C. through the NVA P50sa and NVA A60mk2.
The cartridge I am using is the Denon 301 mk2 my current arm is an old hadcock GH 228.
Your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank You.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: gyrodec tonearm combo

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Id look at something like the audio technica at f7 moving coil for that arm, compliance is a little higher than usual and the hadcock is fairly light low mass
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

petermanc1234

Cheers will check it out and see if I can get one cheap.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Answer would probably be a Swedish Analogue Technologies arm and Ortofon A95 - but you would hardly put that lot on a Gyro. I suppose the stock upgrade might be an SME 309 and AT ART 9. Would certainly work nice. Frankly I would upgrade to an Orbe first. Despite misleading information there is a big difference between Gyro and proper Orbe (not adding just the platter). For Hadcock maybe stick to MM. The Music Maker 2 has long been the most common recommendation but maybe for less a Nagaoka MP500.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

petermanc1234

Dont really want to go down the MM route I like the detail I get from MCs, thanks for the advice though.
I have thought about going down the SME309 route, as far as the Orbe goes that would be one upgrade to far for my misses, she would notice straight away.I have never heard of the Swedish Analogue Technologies arm, so will check it out. Thank You.

petermanc1234

Swedish Analogue Technologies that is wayyyyyyy to much to pay for a tone arm. The doc meantion a RB200 the other day in one the articles on here has anyone used it on a gyrodec. I used to have the RB300 but always felt there was something missing from the music. The hadcock is a lot more musically but with grand kids running around, I fear the it may get damaged.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is R200 = Rega 200 made in Japan. RB300 = Rega 300 made here, the B is for British. the problem is the Rega British ones are crap in my opinion unless you get a highly selected one like the bigger numbers, and they cost. I have said why I think it is crap and bad engineering many times and it is the archive here. Apart from failed bias belts the R200 is a bargain even though the prices are going up.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Imo the hadcock is better than the r200. I have rebuilt and used a few r200s so i know it inside out. And the hadcock too, ive used one recently. However, the r200 would be a better match to most mc carts as it is medium mass. And it sounds good. I just wouldn't right off the hadcock just for the sake of a change. I wouldn't have an rb arm thrown at me now having had a 251 for a long time, modded it, tried everything to get it to sound how I wanted, and failed.
I agree with Richard that the rb series was not a better arm than the r series arms they replaced
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

petermanc1234

Thanks for the replys guys its given me food for thought. If I need any more answers I know who to speak to. Cheers.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The R200 has an 'SME-style' (Ortofon?) headshell on it and this fitting is a blessing or curse depending on whom you speak to. The Hadcock was a badly finished abortion of a thing that fell apart when first taken from its packing box (in the late 70's KJ days before Rega came to my horizon, I set up dozens of the effin' things), BUT, the effort in re-constructing and setting them up was amply rewarded as the sound quality was superb with many cartridges including Deccas..

The F7 is a great £200 worth and it's well enough optimised. You should be able to use it in almost anything I reckon. You'll have something called 'highs' that I often find less evident in a DL103 with conical tip - cough... and tracking should be better too if that matters ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...