Oppo to stop manufacturing

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Oppo to stop manufacturing

Unread post by CN211276 »

This has been attracting attention and is of particular interest to me as I recently bought their PM 3 headphones which are very good. There is a lot of speculation as to the reasons but I am inclined to believe that the protectionist policies of the loony US it president have a lot to do with it, Oppo being a Chinese company.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Oppo to stop manufacturing

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Nope - nothing to do with USA or such. They only pulling the plug on hifi - probably not enough profit and dropping sales all around the world - less need for dvd player and very strong competition in hp market at their price ranges.
On the other hand their mobile part of business is going stronger and stronger. So it looks like just redeployinmen of recourses
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I still suspect that Trump announcing tariffs with China pushed this decision forward. The 205 is about the only quality universal disc spinner that has analogue out as opposed to HDMI thus limiting it to AV receivers for playback,unless you can afford a Bryston DAC or a few other very expensive models. Even Marantz have stopped doing cheaper SACD players. Appear to be panic buying and lack of availability already in USA but Richer Sounds have stock. Anyway ordered one as I can see Universal disc playback becoming impossible but for the now cheaply built Sony models (current range also ending) or for Esoteric (TEAC) prices if you want hi-fi sound and build. My old Denon (which cost me £80) isn't going to last forever.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Physical media in the film / box set world is dying. They probably see it going the way of the CD.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The dead CD format which still sells about 4 times as much as vinyl! So is it logical there are more and more new turntable models being introduced while a relatively limited range of decent CD players? Oppo had a virtual monopoly on DVDA + SACD playback but maybe the market for quality Blue Ray video is saturated. Blue Ray audio appears dead apart from discs that come with super deluxe box sets. They are taking potential interest orders on their web site for a final production run in late summer. I doubt CD or Blue Ray will go same way as cassette, 8 track, or minidisk. Always a market that doesn't depend on your internet being up and running or being fast enough.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Classicrock wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 pm The dead CD format which still sells about 4 times as much as vinyl! So is it logical there are more and more new turntable models being introduced while a relatively limited range of decent CD players? Oppo had a virtual monopoly on DVDA + SACD playback but maybe the market for quality Blue Ray video is saturated. Blue Ray audio appears dead apart from discs that come with super deluxe box sets. They are taking potential interest orders on their web site for a final production run in late summer. I doubt CD or Blue Ray will go same way as cassette, 8 track, or minidisk. Always a market that doesn't depend on your internet being up and running or being fast enough.
It’s not about how many it’s selling, it’s how many it’s NOT! Streaming and download will be the death of it. When I say death I’m referring to the heady selling days of the 80s and 90s not the level we see in today’s SACDs etc

I don’t think the Blu-ray market is saturated in there’s of hardware, more like ‘providers’ deciding to move to a different delivery method.
Apple TV - stream
Sky - Stream
NETFLIX / Amazon Prime / Now TV etc all walking away from physical media.