Computer audio and my closed mind

All general audio posts go here.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Computer audio and my closed mind

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Stu, I use DBpoweramp or EAC as others above have mentioned. The important thing is 'lossless'.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Ripping vinyl is very time consuming. Have done it but don't think it is worth the effort.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I will forget the vinyl then. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Stu, as a musician you might have run into USB interfaces where you can plug intruments into a PC for recording purposes. I have a Roland Edirol UA25 which does very nicely.

This device can also be used as an ADC to record vinyl to a digital file, using a program like Audacity which allows you to chop a file (1 side of an LP) into individual tracks. Quality is pretty good and you can run this with higher resolutions like 24bit/96 Khz.

For playback it is an accurate-sounding device, good for musicians but a bit harsh and edgy for audiophiles.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:52 am Stu, as a musician you might have run into USB interfaces where you can plug intruments into a PC for recording purposes. I have a Roland Edirol UA25 which does very nicely.

This device can also be used as an ADC to record vinyl to a digital file, using a program like Audacity which allows you to chop a file (1 side of an LP) into individual tracks. Quality is pretty good and you can run this with higher resolutions like 24bit/96 Khz.

For playback it is an accurate-sounding device, good for musicians but a bit harsh and edgy for audiophiles.
Cheers Fretless. I have seen things like that before. Will look in to it :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I won't bore you with the details, mainly because there aren't many details to bore you with. As mentioned, I've just added a Raspberry Pi streamer to my second system and it was a piece of cake. I can definitely recommend it if you want a low-cost high-value streaming solution for your system. The Pi and associated bits cost me around seventy quid from Amazon and I've got my audio files on an external USB 3 2Tb drive which I previously used as a backup, so all of my music files were already on it. I've also mounted a NAS drive which holds the "originals" of my music files. My only regret is that I wish I'd read people's write-ups properly, a long time, ago and realised just how easy and hassle-free it was. And to prove how foolproof it is, I set it all up on Friday 13th :lol:

I'm using Rune software as a user interface which I've already customised a bit, and all I've needed to do so far is un-comment (delete a couple of characters from a text file in notepad) a bit of code and use some free software to copy and paste something else on the fly. The Rune software, of course, is free also.

I went with the option to use an external DAC, so have an optical and a co-ax digital output but it's just as easy, if not easier, to use a slightly different interface card to the one I bought that actually incorporates a DAC so you can plug your new Pi straight into your amp. The card(s) have support pillars to keep them...well....supported, and simply push on to the Pi itself. No soldering, no hassle, simples.

If you've been trying to decide whether to "go Pi" or not, I'd say "go for it" both for cheap excellent sound and the opportunity to say to your mates "Oh, yeah, the streamer? I built it myself." 8-)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Nice work, Slinger. :grin: :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:48 pm I won't bore you with the details, mainly because there aren't many details to bore you with. As mentioned, I've just added a Raspberry Pi streamer to my second system and it was a piece of cake. I can definitely recommend it if you want a low-cost high-value streaming solution for your system. The Pi and associated bits cost me around seventy quid from Amazon and I've got my audio files on an external USB 3 2Tb drive which I previously used as a backup, so all of my music files were already on it. I've also mounted a NAS drive which holds the "originals" of my music files. My only regret is that I wish I'd read people's write-ups properly, a long time, ago and realised just how easy and hassle-free it was. And to prove how foolproof it is, I set it all up on Friday 13th :lol:

I'm using Rune software as a user interface which I've already customised a bit, and all I've needed to do so far is un-comment (delete a couple of characters from a text file in notepad) a bit of code and use some free software to copy and paste something else on the fly. The Rune software, of course, is free also.

I went with the option to use an external DAC, so have an optical and a co-ax digital output but it's just as easy, if not easier, to use a slightly different interface card to the one I bought that actually incorporates a DAC so you can plug your new Pi straight into your amp. The card(s) have support pillars to keep them...well....supported, and simply push on to the Pi itself. No soldering, no hassle, simples.

If you've been trying to decide whether to "go Pi" or not, I'd say "go for it" both for cheap excellent sound and the opportunity to say to your mates "Oh, yeah, the streamer? I built it myself." 8-)
Thanks for your input slinger. It looks like Pi is the way i will go. My son is starting learning how to code so maybe i will ask him how to set it up. He's only 8 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need to do some reading up on what exactly i need to buy. I think there is a screen which can be attached to the pi. £3.76 chinese dac is on the way. I already have a single TIS cable to use as a digital cable. I am not so bothered about having album artwork etc displayed but if it is easy to do then why not.

I think i am going to rip cd's as a start. Streaming will come later i think but i dont think i am interested in paying subscriptions. I already have enough of the buggers.

Thanks for all the help so far, stu
DIY FREE ZONE

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

nice easy one stop shop Stu

https://shop.max2play.com/en/
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

karatestu
Great Britain

montechristo358 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47 pm nice easy one stop shop Stu

https://shop.max2play.com/en/
Wow, thanks. Lots of goodies there, a boys toy shop. It will take a few reads for it to sink in. I really want to get the best musical sounds i can first time without having to continually swap hardware and software. That makes the decision making initially harder .

I found https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... rd.214004/this post and links on pfm which may be of interest to Pi users here. Andy Weekes is a seriously clever bloke and has forgotten more electronic knowledge than i will ever know.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE