G99 and Neat

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

G99 and Neat

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Finally got the G99 and Neat sorted for hum, needed an almost complete rewire. I now have the problem that with my heavy weight MCs Denon 103 in Sumiko and Ortofon SPU gold I cannot balance the arm. A large lump of plasticine is doing the job at the moment. I have some Speedy Steve extra weights I had made up for the PL71 but sadly the hole is too small to mount them, I will have to get one machined out.

Anyway music is fab, better than the PL71 in many ways, this is a damn good arm, so much clarity and separation, very happy - Thanks Dave for going the rewire, I am sure he will comment.

Rectified
Been thanked: 0

Re: G99 and Neat

Unread post by Rectified »

Great combo the 'G99'/'Neat 'G30'

:dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The TT has two arm positions, both are set for Neat arms. The #2, not fitted yet is a G30, the #1 is an arm no one I know has heard of, I bought it on spec from Canada about 5 years ago, I have been waiting to fit it to something deserving, you will find no on-line information and my inf is very limited. It is a G36 (I quote) Professional 30cm stereo tonearm. So it is a radio / studio version. Looks different to the G30, for a start it has a spring based weight adjust not a moving counter weight. Like on the Gray arm, but with arm tube unlike the Gray.

Rectified

For years ive been looking for a Sparta 'GT12'/Syntech '220' but seem to be as rare as hens teeth in the UK.

http://photo.qip.ru/users/norton3/151181570/175905940/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I had one of those arms, sold it two years ago as I had too many arms, I was becoming a collector. That is the Technics equiv of the G36 it is their broadcast arm, I forget the number. Looked good but decided to keep the Neat.

Two arms on the G99 eventually with the G30 doing the MM duties and the G36 doing the MC. Had it running today on Denon 103 and Shure M3D

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Glad the deck's doing it right now. The motor wiring needed sorting too so the thing turned on and off properly.

P.S. I still maintain you don't need to butcher old GL75 Lenco decks to get a good performance from them. Just the arm needing V blocks and maybe counterweight suspension support in some cases, and as modern good cartridges all track now at 2g or slightly less, the high mass tonearm is in its element now when it wasn't in the mid 70's when the deck design faded away...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Rectified

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 am I had one of those arms, sold it two years ago as I had too many arms, I was becoming a collector. That is the Technics equiv of the G36 it is their broadcast arm, I forget the number. Looked good but decided to keep the Neat.
Wish id have known id have bought that from you. The Syntech 'S220' was also known as the Piezo 'PU402'

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Piezo PU402 - that was the one.

Oddly I find the most interesting and rare arms come up on the Australian and Canadian eBay sites.

Rectified

Yes you right ive seen at least four Piezo arms turn up on Ozzy Bay.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Some where there are pics taken by ant when he did the original work - damned if I can find them.