G99 and Neat

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: G99 and Neat

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

eagwok33 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:32 pm Congratulations Richard,
That is a superb combination! :-) and it looks gorgeous, too! :clap:
I whole-heartedly agree with your comparison to the 401...
Does this one also have an improved bearing?

To my ears, the Lenco idler wheels in a decent plinth, with improved bearing and with a well-chosen arm, have this unique "boogie factor" which make them special and me dance! :dance:
Standard bearing as far as I know.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: G99 and Neat

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

There are Lenco bearings and there are Lenco bearings, even before myself and Ant got hold of this one ;)

This G99 is from 1965 and has a lovely closer tolerance grease bearing as they used to be and with a good thrust plate at the bottom. Any noise is from the drive transmitted to the plinth structure, NOT the bearing itself usually. Later Lencos weren't as tightly toleranced in the main bearing sleeves and I scrapped a couple twenty years ago because the platters wobbled. They became spinning jigs to make speaker drive units I recall..

Also, the idler wheel changed over time and this G99 has a later better one fitted to replace the crap plastic-hubbed one it came with which rumbled badly I recall.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...