bmu

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bmu

Unread post by jayman67 »

what are the symptoms of needing a bmu?
i have sometimes noticed a drop in performance,like last night for instance,my TT sounded stunning,lots of air to the sound,plucked upright bass on a track i know well sounded so life like.
today it seems to have just lost that edge,the bass sounds a little muddy.vta etc is all set.
i know system seem to have an off day,is the answer a bmu i wonder?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: bmu

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You never know with a BMU, there seems to be different things it does and cures and some things it doesn't, even I don't know if it will do it for anyone. All I know is it is working out that about 80% of those that try it see enough benefit to want one, so the only way is suck it and see, if it doesn't do it for you send it back.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Didn't have a nice glass of red on the go last night?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

jayman67

unfortunately not :grin:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Eric Shun

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Why not simply take advantage of the Doc superb loan service?

viewtopic.php?f=30&p=167728#p167728

To quote somebody elsewhere - simples :)
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

jayman67

yep im mulling it over as i type.

Eric Shun

Unread post by Eric Shun »

You know it makes sense Jamie ;)
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I recently carried out an experiment i posted about on another thread. I have the new Chord Qutest DAC which I think is a bit special, something backed up by posts on other forums. It is plugged into a distribution unit connected to the BMU. I plugged it directly into a wall socket and was amazed at what happened. The sound became dull and lifeless. The A80s and streamer remained connected to the BMU. The Qutest was soon plugged back in.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

The loan system is well worthwhile. I borrowed one & demoed it to a friend. My friend has now ordered one. I changed my camera system instead as I spend more time behind the camera than listening to music - until next winter that is.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I recently read one iffy review on here about the loan BMU, but looking at the chap's system rang alarm bells for me, as I remember his choice of speaker not being very good especially in the bass apart from the makers reputation of old which still carries him along in the UK-used and export markets at least.

Please don't expect a BMU to transform the sound of an iffy system to a hugely higher level, 'cos it won't. If the sound is basically good, with a tuneful and taut bass reproduction especially rather than a boomy stodge which many manufacturers call 'bass,' and with a midrange which is able to convey the air, atmosphere and acoustic of a recording venue or recording production, you should find the BMU helps the ability to 'suspend disbelief' in the sound so you can more effortlessly hear into the recorded mix for musical benefit and not just forensic clarity. Nothing to do with listening-room atmosphere, humidity and listener's mood, both of which can change on a whim, but deeper than that and in this case, for objective measurable differences too I believe.

S'cuse the verbal diarrhoea above. The BMU benefits, if you need and hear them, are permanent and these benefits in 'listening comfort' don't alter from day to day.

Try one, if you enjoy music rather than 'just' the sound, you may find it indispensable :grin:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...