Decided I Needed Another SP 10. This One Came From Japan

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Decided I Needed Another SP 10. This One Came From Japan

Unread post by Neonknight »

Perhaps the most perfect SP 10 MK II I have come across in my limited lifetime. The drive unit is absolutely perfect. Same with the obsidian plinth. The tone arm is an SAEC 407. I suspect it is the 23 version,as I can achieve a proper alignment with a 407/23 protractor.

A great deal of attention was paid to the packing, however, it was not meant to survive the challenges of UPS or FED EX shipping. Thank goodness it came DHL Express, which meant I had it in two days and it got white glove treatment. The platter was not removed but taped down, same with the tone arm. The anti skate weight string broke, but it got caught in some packing paper and did not appreciable damage. All in all, someone was looking out for me on this one.

Then as luck would have it. A friend directed me to a Technics EPA 250 arm for a reasonable price. I snapped it up and have plans on installing it on this table. I don't think I ever appreciated Technics products as a whole, and this arm is a beautiful bit of engineering.

So that does me for tables for now. I did sell my Galibier Serac at the end of last year. The credenza has room for 3 tables on top, and that consists of two SP 10 MK II, and a DP 75 in a VPI plinth. All of them are thoroughly enjoyable.
TechnicsZ.jpg
TechnicsZ.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

Neonknight

Re: Decided I Needed Another SP 10. This One Came From Japan

Whenever I get off my butt and order an arm board, I will put this on the SP 10. But the SAEC used with the Denon DL 304 sounds quite nice, so its hard to get motivated. But it would be nice to have this combo up and running.
Tonearm.jpg
Tonearm.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Lovely! One day, I promise myself an SL1000.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Neonknight

Alfi wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 pm Lovely! One day, I promise myself an SL1000.

Alfi.
They aren't getting any cheaper! With the price tag of the new SP10R being $20K, the SP 10 MK II isn't going to go down in value. I bought mine off Ebay from a Japanese shop for $2.5K USD including shipping. I thought that was a fair price for what you get with this table. And I was more than surprised with the condition! It looks as close to new out of the box as I could expect.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I suppose it's inevitable that the original SP10 in good order will at least maintain or increase in value. They are such a clean, well thought out and well engineered product they'll be sought after for many years.
Very complex electronics though.

I would think yours in such good order was well worth what you paid for it.

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.