What turntable do you use and why ?

All general audio posts go here.
kellerist
Hungary

Re: What turntable do you use and why ?

Unread post by kellerist »

My point exactly! I want to decide if there is a point of going or not.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Buy a used TT or one of those budget models at £250 to £300 (probably not Rega or Project if you are speed sensitive). I would also suggest around £100 at least on a proper phono stage unless you have an amp with a good built in one. Unfortunately I'm seeing daft asking prices for some better vintage models such as Thorens. Depends if you have some records to play but start with some used vinyl from Ebay or record fair avoiding the collectable titles. There are plenty new Lps that sell between £15 and £20 through Amazon. It does make more sense if you have old vinyl stored away or inherited or been given Lps in excellent or better condition. According to feedback on Hoffman forum the ATLP5 and Fluance appear to punch above their weight and include cartridge (At 95E on the audio technica). Use with an Edwards Audio Apprentice MM phono stage. That's around £400 all in and is likely to sound acceptable against decent digital sources. I think that's the cheapest way to try vinyl given the over optimistic pricing of good vintage decks which may need work to perform properly. You may find a decent vintage Technics DD for cheaper but not an SL1200 these days.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have a fun project I am trying to find time for, I will probably pass it to DSJR to finish. So far the TT has cost me about £20 inc purchase price, a Lenco L69. The arm a Neat cost me £50 and a decent MM costs about £50. Cheap as chips, and the L69 is just as good as the L75 apart from platter, being steel that cuts out using MC carts, and it need some doping to stop it ringing (becoming my speciality).

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

What is the point in listening to viynal on a cheap set up. You don't have to spend the earth but you are looking a 2k even if you go 2nd hand.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi Kellerist,
I know if I mention LP12 that there will be loads of flack :animals-dogrun:

So here are two possibles - both belt drives, but the systemdek will see off most similarly aged direct drives and CD systems, the Mission I have no personal experience of but it is cheap and could give you an idea of whether vinyl appeals (not sure which arm is on it but if it is a 774 you will have bagged a bit of a classic)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mission-775- ... SwdT9bVKTn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYSTEMDEK-II ... SwrCZbDeDh

Have fun. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I can't help suspecting that these bargains have issues the sellers haven't mentioned. I expect another £100 at least for new stylus/cartridge and fixing other issues. I do agree with DSJR re cost of really good vinyl playback but if you want to put a toe in the water and have no records those modern budget products can be sold on without a huge loss. Either way it's going to cost a couple hundred in losses fettling or postage just to try the format. Alternatively find a friend with a really good vinyl playback system and judge for yourself if you want to invest serious money.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Dont follow all the sheep buying a TT or you will pay down the nose for one..

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Get a dem. Even if you have to travel, even if you have to fly. Visit a fellow enthusiast with a decent t/t set up. Have a holiday at the same time.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You could consider something like the Pro-Ject Essential II Phono. Currently costs 299 euro at Amazon.de.

This turntable has a built in phono output stage and a USB connection, and comes complete with an Ortofon cartridge.
The Pro-Ject decks are nicely made and good value. I have a Debut 2 for the (rare) occasions when I want to relive the 'vinyl experience'.
There is something very physical and tactile about handling LP's and using turntables that digital just does not have.

http://www.project-audio.com/en/product ... iii-phono/

It's a way to start - but you will still have to buy some records to play on it.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Karnevil9
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

You could get a lot more with a used TT , as guy has pointed out.