What turntable do you use and why ?

All general audio posts go here.
Rick4001
Great Britain

Re: What turntable do you use and why ?

Unread post by Rick4001 »

My TT is nothing exotic, Toshiba SR-370, direct drive from the early 80's with a Mission 774 arm and Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge. The Doc heard it some time ago and thought it a bit " flabby ", I think that may have been down to the SME 3009 arm I had then. The 774 has really tightened up the sound and works very well with the Toshiba. It's a nice solid TT, weighs in at almost 25 kilos and is simplicity itself to set up. I got hold of a cosmetically damaged 370 a while back so decided to make a project of it. I veneered the composite plinth with Spanish white olivewood, made new decals as close to the originals as possible and finally finished it with 12 coats of water based lacquer polished with Jaxa bees wax. I paid £250 for the first one and a total including all materials of £160 for the second.

My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/modified Musical Fidelity X DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Nakamichi CA5E preamp, Passive RVC, Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp ,Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands, NVA LS5, Cambridge NP30 network player, Mogami with Neutrik RCA, Sennheiser HD650, 600, Koss Pro4 AA.

Karnevil9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

guydarryl wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:01 pm
So here are two possibles - both belt drives, but the systemdek will see off most similarly aged direct drives and CD systems, the Mission I have no personal experience of but it is cheap and could give you an idea of whether vinyl appeals (not sure which arm is on it but if it is a 774 you will have bagged a bit of a classic)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mission-775- ... SwdT9bVKTn

Have fun. Guy.
Ill just edit out the mention of the fruit box

Regarding that Mission.. They were a good little deck, However that is the budget 'LC' version you got with the '774LC' arm. I liked the very early Silver Hammertone version with the original lo mass '774' arm. There was also a 'SM' version. The plinths were MDF but they were very well made.

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Exotic or not Rick those Tosh '370' were a good deck.

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Use three different Duals.
Use a Revolver.
Use a technics.
Use a Sanyo.

Use them all all. Why? Cos I got them for free.

kellerist
Hungary

Unread post by kellerist »

Thank you very much!

It is I, Leclerc

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

I have 7 atm, 6 in full working order and one in dry dock. I like to swap them around from time to time but then I'm a bit wierd. My current main daily runner is a Project Extension 10 with an Ortofon Cadenza Red. Near the other end of the scale is a 25yo (ish) Rega Planar 3 with a Roksan Corus Black. Variety is the spice of life they say :grin:

John Rackham

Unread post by John Rackham »

Well having started with an LP12 many many years ago, I've had a variety of turntables, and own 4 at the moment, with the one that most people want to hear being the Techdas Airforce One. This has a 10" Graham Phantom Elite Arm fitted, with Ortofon MC A95 pick up.

To say it is low noise is an understatement. Its not 'hifi' and sterile either, just simply the most wonderful playback of vinyl I've owned or had the privilege of hearing elsewhere - yet!

kellerist
Hungary

A piece of art. I'm not sure that my house is worth 75000...

kellerist
Hungary

I'm still thinking about buying a TT.
Some of you advised that I should hear a good setup and decide that this kind of sound is my cup of tee or not before starting to invest in a system. My full system, except the source is NVA now, so the best solution would be a TT in a NVA setup.
I will travel to London on 25th October with my wife, and will come home on 29th. Except 28th (Eagles-Jaguars), we don't have anything fixed. I'd be very glad if any of you would be so kind and would allow me to listen to a few tracks.

kellerist
Hungary