What turntable do you use and why ?

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: What turntabe do you use and why ?

Unread post by karatestu »

Chopsaw54 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:38 am I have a few turntable/tonearm combinations but I like to use my own in my main system. It has a Clearaudio bearing and platter but the arm is all my own work. I've had several attempts at making my own bearing but my machining skills are not quite there yet.
Wow, respect to you. How does it sound ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Chopsaw54
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

I would say it's fairly neutral. I machined a large piece of aluminium which is bolted to the acrylic platter to give it some serious mass and I think that contributes to the generous bass reproduction. It's not overblown or anything but if it's on the record you'll hear it. I think my tonearm sounded better with a 12mm diameter arm tube though. I dropped it to 10mm in an attempt to reduce its effective mass but when I can find some suitable tube I think I'll go back to 12mm.

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Rega 'Planet' bought it armless. Ive machined a SME Pattern slot in the plinth just in case i decide to fit my SME '3009', but i think ill stick with the Mayware arm i fitted.. Ive fitted a brand new motor to it but i still have a few things i need to improve.

Karnevil9

Forgot to mention why. Thru past experiences spring suspensions are more trouble than what they are worth.

Chopsaw54

I had a Mayware on my first Empire. I didn't realise when I bought it that the geometry was wrong. The Empire suits Linn geometry arms at 211mm mounting distance. My current Empire has a Spacearm fitted which works well. I had to machine the arm pillar to get it to fit the Empire arm mounting which is part of the subchassis. I still have the original Empire arm but I'm afraid it's just too much of a clunker for my taste.

Karnevil9

That is a 'PLS/4D' The paperwork states 209mm mounting distance. I've used Maywares on & off for years. My first one i bought direct fro them around 1983 with the Mayware 'T24' & 'MC-7V'.. However the paperwork also states a mounting hole of 1"which is wrong its 3/4"..

Chopsaw54

I could never set the cartridge correctly with the Mayware on my Empire. I assumed the geometry was just wrong but it should have worked. I gave up in the end and put the deck away when I went cd. Years later when we were having a clear out I threw the whole thing in the skip, Grado cartridge included.

Karnevil9

They are an utter Twat to set up but years of practice makes perfect. The best way to set up the Head shell Azimuth is without the cartridge fitted using the flat of the underside of the head shell. Carefully clamp side of the two halves of the arm together at the point where it swivels at the pivot together so the top half is perfectly vertical to the matching base, set it to the flat of the platter.

Chopsaw54

I might get another one day. They were always a nice looker, much better than the Hadcock. I reckon one would probably do ok on a Lenco with a nice V15 on the end of it.

joe

Unread post by joe »

In the main downstairs system a Roksan Xerxes X, which replaced a Roksan Xerxes. As to why; the Roksan Xerxes was much better than the LP12 when I compared the two. The Xerxes developed the famous sag after ten years or so, so I traded it in for the Xerxes X which has been trouble-free since I got it about fifteen years ago.

Upstairs is an AR turntable, which gets used less than it should do. I bought it many years ago to replace a Sony direct drive that was utterly dire. It developed a fault with the belt slipping and it took me ages to get around to getting it sorted. It sounds great, but it's in a room at the very top of the house which as well as being up four flights of stairs is bloody cold from November to March.