Pioneer PL71

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pioneer PL71

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If you want to replace it I will have it back for the price you paid me. I didn't really want to sell it.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

That’s a very kind offer. Not sure how long it will be before I order a NVA amp and if I will want to change the cartridge once the all NVA system is up and running. Let’s see how it pans out.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Stemcor1990 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm I can definitely hear one speaker “louder” than the other hence the need for a NVA pre. I was also staggered by the performance of the DL103. Once the new amps are in place (and I might upgrade the phono stage) then it might be time for a change of cartridge and then again I might choose to keep it. It is certainly a formidable performer for the money.

Anti skating not quite there perhaps? The DL103 is a nice cartridge for sure.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

None left now, I bought the rest to hoard them :geek:

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Alfi wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:16 pm
Stemcor1990 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm I can definitely hear one speaker “louder” than the other hence the need for a NVA pre. I was also staggered by the performance of the DL103. Once the new amps are in place (and I might upgrade the phono stage) then it might be time for a change of cartridge and then again I might choose to keep it. It is certainly a formidable performer for the money.

Anti skating not quite there perhaps? The DL103 is a nice cartridge for sure.

Alfi.
Interesting point. The arm does move to the right when I raise the arm lift lever. My pre has been sold so can’t really do much about until the power amps have gone and the NVA is in situ.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The DL103 has a conical tip, tracks at around 2.5g I remember and it won't need so much bias correction as an elliptical, let alone a fine line one in my experience. The cueing platform which raises and lowers the tonearm should have a hard rubber 'tyre' on top from memory and cleaning this (maybe even lightly buffing with fine emery paper - BUT BE CAREFUL) should restore proper vertical movement when lifting.

The PL71 really is a great sounding turntable which even convinced me the geriatric clumpy old SPU cartridge had considerable merit (totally opposite to modern sparklers and utterly powerful/stable/precise without ever forcing it). The arm is one of the very best of its type too, regardless of status-symbol-cachet laden alternatives - the Rega R200 was considerably scaled down from this, not upgraded! - and it should take all manner of cartridges old and new (forget the M55E ffs, mine sounds pretty horrible whatever I stick it in, but in fairness I'll give it another go as I didn't have the Phono 2 last time I played it :D )
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 pm You are right.
yeahhh - that would be the first - but it shows that even thick ones can be educated :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not thick, just getting them to shut up long enough to listen :lol: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Pioneer knew everything they needed to know about building good turntables by the early 70's. Everything that came after that was either downhill (PL12D and PL112) at the behest of their slurping distributors wanting to cash in. Or guilding the lily to try and get the last nnnnththh at great expense, or just changes sideways for marketing purposes.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:02 pm Not thick, just getting them to shut up long enough to listen :lol: :lol:
true that

but you sometimes manage to succeed :grin: :grin: :grin:
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/