JPW Sonatas

All general audio posts go here.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: JPW Sonatas

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

These little chaps http://www.hifiandmusicsource.com/2017/ ... er-review/ are interesting. The statement in the review that "The cast iron material is apparently over 50 times better at reducing cabinet vibration than conventional wood" is useful. So I would expect a steel lined box as per DocMods to behave similarly - as evidenced by all those who have tried it including me.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 pm Its just bollocks, it means every speaker I make and every doc mod is crap - ad hominem warning - the man is an eeediot and needs ignoring, unless he wishes to prove otherwise by showing us the results of his efforts, but that is not the point of him being here.

Trolls need to be treated as trolls. They do not deserve respect.
I know, mate, and I agree; my question was, effectively, saying the same...but in a roundabout way.

Theories (and prejudices) are ten-a-penny. Implementation and results are everything.

Bach? Succumbed to blindness shortly before leaving us ;)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Simon Hickie

Oh and as far as I can tell, the coated bass driver runs either full range or with a simple inductor and just a cap on the tweeter. Sounds familiar?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:51 pm helen fuck off and make a set of speakers , then send them to a reasonable member here for review
Yes, that's also pretty much the gist of it... :grin:
I am in the hi-fi trade

Simon Hickie

savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:59 pm
Thanks to a botched operation by a British eye surgeon! I wonder what the AoS / PFM equivalent of a botched operation is?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Simon Hickie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 pm
savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:59 pm
Thanks to a botched operation by a British eye surgeon! I wonder what the AoS / PFM equivalent of a botched operation is?
The latest LP12 subchassis?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He came here as a troll to pick an argument with me. His posts and his knowledge of doc mods and what we do means his statement that he came here from a search for JPW Sonatas is simply a lie. I can tell very early on from tone and content for my troll warning lights to come on as we have seen soooooo many of them over the years. If someone comes here and lies to us and then trolls us he deserves no respect or for us to respect the rules, I would have booted him toot sweet but I thought I would let a few users of what he says is rubbish to comment on his opinions.

Helen Bach
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Helen Bach »

Simon Hickie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:54 pm These little chaps http://www.hifiandmusicsource.com/2017/ ... er-review/ are interesting. The statement in the review that "The cast iron material is apparently over 50 times better at reducing cabinet vibration than conventional wood" is useful. So I would expect a steel lined box as per DocMods to behave similarly - as evidenced by all those who have tried it including me.
I'm sorry I don't have the ability to sink to your levels of rudeness, but hopefully the following will compensate.

The statement is that 'cast iron material is apparently over 50 times better at reducing cabinet vibration than conventional wood'. Hm, let me see. Here we go: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... 012031/pdf Look at table1, On the extreme right hand side (internal friction, 1/Q) are the damping factors for grey cast iron (the best damping of the cast irons) and structural steel (OLC45). You will see that the damping factor for grey cast iron is 0.0280. That is supposed to be 50 times better than 'conventional wood' whatever that is. I have measured a few wood samples in my time, and the lowest I recall include ebony (0.018), wenge (0.012) and black walnut (0.019), lower, but hardly 50 times lower. On the other hand, some woods, like ipe (0.500) and Jarrah (0.369) would seem to be substantially better than cast iron. Who'd have thought! Oh, and structural steel, damping factor of 0.0012 is ten times worse that the worse wood I have measured. So, no damping, no wadding, those 'speakers must really shake rattle and roll.

None are so blind as those who do not want to see!

Oh, and by the way, the value of damping factor to aim for is 0.4 for those who understand, anything for those who don't
Last edited by Helen Bach on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Your rudeness far exceeds ours - insulting our intelligence with lies as to why you came and the trolling campaign you are still keeping up. To a degree it is entertaining but the fun will wear off soon if your posting doesn't change.

How about giving us some reality so we can judge you, who are you, why are your really here, what company do you work for, or is this just for your own ego.

Helen Bach
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Helen Bach »

I'm not the rude one here.

I came here looking for some info on JPW Sonatas, as vectored by Google. No-one sent me. I don't work for any company, but a few have used my help.

I see now that this is not the forum I should be on, where there are no discussions making any sense, and where one is insulted for disagreeing.

Why would you want to judge me, I don't judge you. If you can't see what science and technology have to offer you, that, of course, is your problem.