Flowery hi-fi speak

All general audio posts go here.
Eric Shun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flowery hi-fi speak

Unread post by Eric Shun »

I’ve been out of the UK on business for a week or so and whilst sitting in my hotel room of an evening, I’m constantly tickled by the unusual and bizarre way forum members choose to describe their listening experiences. I continually come across poster after poster who feels the need to use colourful words and phrases in an attempt to paint a picture of what a piece of kit or accessory might bring to their listening experience. I'm not entirely sure, but is there any other hobby which uses such a broad swath of words and phrases to describe what we hear?

I’m particularly drawn to a wonderfully titled and colourful post on TAS titled "The Interconnect that made my mother cry" in which the poster waxes lyrical in an effort to try and describe what £40 of DIY homebrew cables have brought to his listening experience. A taster of the classic hifi speak to which I refer is included for your enjoyment:

"Smeared mids come into focus, bass is snappy, highs are so clear and everything is distinctly placed in a gigantic soundscape"

"...changed the sound from unappealing to full of emotion, decent slam, holographic and straight up enjoyable"

http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/3477 ... z4wVGHwgR9

By coincidence, at the usual den of home brew cable hyperbollocks, AoS is currently more concerned with the aesthetic qualities of a plug, rather than how it functions. Perhaps the forum should be rebranded the Boutique of Sound, but watch them fall over themselves to try, test and wax lyrical in classic hifi mumbo jumbo about the improvements they allegedly make.

But its not just TAS and AoS who are guilty of this, examples of similar classic hifi speak can be found on every forum but members involved with making their own cables and interconnects appear to be the worst offenders, so is it simply a matter that the poster is trying to bamboozle us in an effort to get us to buy into their project or can it be plain unadulterated excitement at the thought that they reinvented the wheel?

Who was originally responsible for this becoming the epidemic it is today?
Do we really understood what the poster is telling us?
Are these words used to baffle and confuse us?
Do they show up our collective lack of understanding the English language?
Should we be that this language of ours is broad enough for us to use various ways to describe our emotions?
Which forums are the worst offenders?
Why don’t the grammar police (yes Stratmangler, I’m looking at you) pick members up on their woolly use of a language he and others of his ilk hold so dear?

Perhaps there should there be an internationally recognised standard for hifi speak?

I have a good idea what the Doc will say, but what do other members think? Overly enthusiastic expression or slurp driven hyperbollocks? The choice, should you choose to reply, is yours
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Flowery hi-fi speak

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think wine speak beats them all.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:17 pm I think wine speak beats them all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I'm sure that I am regularly responsible for these sort of crimes against good taste - but it is a challenge when trying to put into words an impression received aurally which often has an emotional impact.
We are all music lovers who want to 'feel' the music in our souls (if possible) and this can result in some very convoluted use of language when you attempt to describe that experience to someone else.

Besides that it is fun to find interesting metaphors and a pain to avoid cliches. :banana-tux: :banana-tux: :banana-tux:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is simple describe the music not the hi-fi.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have often heard of people who, due to illness, had only low quality audio sources. One thing they have in common is that the quality of the reproduction wasn't what mattered, it was the music. If you engage with the music you will cease to notice the faults in reproduction.

Not so say that quality doesn't make any difference but some people seem to listen to the equipment rather than the music. Good equipment simply makes it easier to engage.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm some people seem to listen to the equipment rather than the music. Good equipment simply makes it easier to engage.
some people and all so called reviewers
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

This is nothing new. I recall it in magazines going back to the 70s.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc