Streamers

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Streamers

Unread post by CN211276 »

I was very sceptical about streamers, far more so than I should have been bearing in mind that the improvements brought about by my Jitterbugs are evidence enough that computers degrade sound quality.

Savvy’s response to my post on a meaningless paid for SpamWam “real review” on an Elite Audio streamer got me thinking. I did a lot of Internet research and almost everything I read about the Sonore microRendu was very positive. Much of it was in comparisons with streamers costing silly amounts.

I decided to take the plunge and I am very glad I did as the improvements are not subtle. If the Jitterbugs amounted to applying a bandage, the microRedu was a complete cure, with the desktop PC being completely removed from the signal path. I now stream via WiFi from my new Amazon Fire through BubbleUp.

The first thing which struck me was an increase in dynamic range. When I thought the volume was a bit too low, I found it would increase by a far greater amount when the track demanded it. The other main improvement is an increase in the resolution of fine detail, especially where high frequencies are concerned. Cymbals and tambourines have greater precision and clarity.

I am now far more aware of the transparency of the NVA kit I have bought over the past year. A thanks to Savvy for opening my eyes, or years, to something which I previously considered to be foo.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Streamers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I play through my computer, through a S/PDIF converter, through a DAC, to amplifier. Why do I need and what is a streamer. With computers and computer audio, what I need is a screamer as most of the time that is what it makes me want to do. Remember in computer audio terms I live in a cave.

I am getting exceptional quality for less that £100 and my computer, and hopefully you all know I know what good music reproduction is!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:48 pm I play through my computer, through a S/PDIF converter, through a DAC, to amplifier. Why do I need and what is a streamer. With computers and computer audio, what I need is a screamer as most of the time that is what it makes me want to do. Remember in computer audio terms I live in a cave.

I am getting exceptional quality for less that £100 and my computer, and hopefully you all know I know what good music reproduction is!
Partly convenience (might help with the 'screaming' ;) ), mostly sound quality. I got a big jump in SQ with the MicroRendu compared to direct feed from laptop.

At the risk of more screaming, here's the marketing blurb: http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

Anyways...

Bake Off!
Bake Off!
Bake Off!

I'll pick you up from the station :grin:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes but you don't have what I am using, which has shocked me for the price, and as far as I know no one else has either. You heard it!

EDIT - over £500 for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Yep. Your sub £100 set up sounds better than 'price prejudice' says it has any right to. Listening to the Radio Swiss jazz and classical channels...smooth, open and involving.

How it compares to my streamer set up? Not sure, but interested to try side by side. If it comes close to, or beats, my (many times) more expensive set up then I'll be the first to say so...
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm

EDIT - over £500 for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Without a DAC.

All the more incentive to bake off...

:epopc:
I am in the hi-fi trade

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

It has made a big difference to the SQ I am getting. I think it could be partly because I was using a desktop (makes a slight noise) which I think introduces more distortion than a laptop. The convenience factor is also a big plus.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

That streamer is no more than a box. They should at least have a screen and menus to enable a complete avoidance of standard computers. Has this been compared to other similar products with rather more functionality.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Classicrock wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm That streamer is no more than a box. They should at least have a screen and menus to enable a complete avoidance of standard computers. Has this been compared to other similar products with rather more functionality.
Preloaded with Logitech Media Server software (and others). I use it to play files stored locally (cd rips and hi-res downloads), streams from Qobuz and Spotify, iplayer, internet radio. All controlled from (Orange Squeeze) app on my phone. Even settings can be done from the phone app. A PC interface can be used, of course, but it is not essential.

The Sonore will also handle Roon streams. Roon is very rich in metadata - what we used to call sleeve notes - but I prefer the speed and simplicity of LMS/ Orange Squeeze.

It is a distinct advantage not to have the display on the box. My phone in my hand is a lot easier to view and navigate than a screen on a box 8 feet away. The phone app is supported and updated continuously with zero user intervention.

Orange Squeeze app sample screenshots:

I am in the hi-fi trade

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Ok that makes more sense and stacks up price wise (even if Doc thinks it's expensive).
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)