Cartridge Styli

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cartridge Styli

Unread post by antonio66 »

My Lyra Helikon, although still sounding good, must be coming to the nd of it life. I have looked around at cartridge repairs and come up with two suppliers. NorthWest Analogue who do a Fritz Gyger tip and Expert Stylus Co. who do Paratrace tips. Any recommendations.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Cartridge Styli

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Dom at northwest analogue is very very very good and is also a lyra stockist.
And builds his own mc cart.
Hes looked at all my carts at some point. I personally wouldnt use anyone else.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

antonio66

He was kinda favourite, since he does sell Lyra.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I recommend ESCo as they're proper professionals who've been doing this for decades and their work usually betters the new article. They can also replace diamonds alone, and not just the entire bought-in diamond/cantilever assembly like others do! Goldring used to do cartridge restorations and I heard needle drops of a Troika thus rebuilt. MUCH better than the original (less dull). ESCo also repaired a bent cantilever on a troiks when it was new and again, the thing sounded amazing compared to a factory fresh example.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66

I have read very good reports about ESCo repairs, and then came a spanner in the works, the Paratrace tip. I read a couple of reports about it being very fussy re azimuth and having a Rega arm I don`t believe this can be adjusted, also the tip may not have a very extended life span. Yes, I know it was on the internet, but it does place doubts in your mind and that is why I was asking the question.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Id give both a ring and speak to Dom and expert stylus.
Have a word and tell them what you need. Then make a decision. Ive never used esco so I can't comment on them, but a conversation with the companies in question is always going to be better than wondering wether to believe possible t'internet bollocks
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

ESCo don't just do the Paratrace, which is pretty well the same as most fine-line types, but they do ellipticals and I think conicals too, as well as general MC cartridge repairs if they can get to the innards... They still make the PN7 for the famous old A&R P77 I understand, but they do have a lot of work from all over the world, so there may be a wait.

I was put off NWA when he posted a pic of a shit Goldring 800 he tarted up, with forty years of crud all over the plastic stylus housing that hadn't been cleaned away. Kind of made the fancy-foo cantilever and diamond look like a daisy on a cow-pat!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66

I may well give them a call, and go from there.

antonio66

I asked in another thread about cartridge matching my RB250 and have now sent my Lyra cart to ESCo for checking/retipping. I was doubtful I would be able to buy a new cart. up to £500 that would have the same refinement as my Lyra. Will update when I have the cart. returned in 3 to 4 weeks.