a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by antonio66 »

A stick and a nail then Ant. :lol: Joking aside both of those tt's look fantastic, and although I have never heard a Mayware arm it looks good on the JBE. Wish I lived nearer because I would have loved to come around and listen.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Excellent work. I would be very very proud of those if I were you.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

antonio66 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:08 pm A stick and a nail then Ant. :lol: Joking aside both of those tt's look fantastic, and although I have never heard a Mayware arm it looks good on the JBE. Wish I lived nearer because I would have loved to come around and listen.
Ta folks, im in south Yorkshire, specifically, a shithole near doncaster, so if people do want to pop in for a listen, I wouldn't be averse to that
Cheers ant
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Well it is done any playing as I type....

I put the small cabs back on the big bass cabs. First track played and small cab and PIO cap were rattling about on top of the bass cab :o After sorting that out with a bit of blutack and playing some bass heavy tunes all is well. The room is rattling at the moment though, but then I have got it fooking loud :whistle: and it is a smallish room.

Looks like this configuration is also worthy of further investigation and listening.

I cant decide which I like best (1) forward firing (2) up firing (3)down firing.

They all do things slightly differently. I know bass below 100hz (ish) is Omni directional but the rest of the frequency range that the 12" produces (even when doped) is more directional I assume. That being said I really enjoy the front firing bass cubes as they still disappear but seem to make the soundstage a little more 3D if you know what I mean.

The up and down firing approach both have the advantage of having the output of the bass driver in phase with the ground mechanically - although I swear that in down firing mode the big cab is trying to lift off the ground.

I need more time swapping between each way of doing it (and playing lots more different music) before I can make my mind up on this :think: :think: :think:

edit - I forgot to put the photo in :doh:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Wrong thread.

antonio66

[/quote]

Ta folks, im in south Yorkshire, specifically, a shithole near doncaster, so if people do want to pop in for a listen, I wouldn't be averse to that
Cheers ant
[/quote]

I lived in Donny (Armthorpe) for 5 years in the 80's. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there and the people were very friendly.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Got them both in place now, the JBE isn't connected up right now as I didn't get round to it today.
I had to move the PASS F5 power amp which was where the JVC is now, and in order to do that I had to build in some shelves into the built in cupboard underneath.
FYI, the system is the 2 decks, a Philips cd371 cd player that I am modding and has had some bits done already, the pre is one of my passives with balanced outputs and a stepped attenuator, benedict audio hothead mm phono stage, the F5, BMU and the beresford dac is fed by a mac mini for computer audio

ImageJbe + jvc by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

So the cupboard now has a pair of shelves for the F5 and the balanced power supply I built, and as the F5 gets hot, I made the shelves out of a pair of 4x2 spars, one at the front and one at the back so that its open rather than a solid board. That way, the heatsinks which form the sides are clear underneath to get the max airflow through them. Same for the BMU I built, although that doesn't need any airflow, but the more open the cupboard is, the more airflow I will get. Last thing I want is the f5 overheating in an enclosed space, although the cupboard can be left open abit.

ImageBmu + pass f5 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

the tea caddy to the right of the BMU, is the ubiquitous box of small hifi related bits that I'm sure everyone has, containing a vtf gauge, alignment protractor, some small signal valves, little bubble level, and about 6 dozen random nuts and bolts...............
As per usual for me, a simple thing like siting another turntable turned into a major operation
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

antonio66

Great idea to use spars as the shelves. I thought you used a Lenco tt, has that just been put to one side while you try out your new ones.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

The lenco is out on demo at the moment with both the modded rb251 and the unipivot arm I built

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

The at150 is now on it and it plays.

ImageDSC_0722 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Shure m97xe on the jvc. Just need to makr a little swichbox to switch between the two now
All done.