a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Hmmm. The jbe seems to repond very well to balanced power.
Its psu is pretty rudimentary compared to the jvc, perhaps that why it has made more difference to it
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

I really cant decide between the 2 decks one will have to go at some point.
They are both really nice.
Someone want to make me an offer I cant refuse on one of them and end my torment :mrgreen:
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

The jvc is getting much more use than the jbe is, so much so that I decided to get another moving coil cart to go on it. It deserves better than the shure m97xe. The mayware isnt particularly suited to medium/low compliance stuff, but the jvc robot arm will happily take pretty much owt.
Got a goldring eroica to go in it

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Ive put the goldring eroica L on it. This thing is lovely!
Not a single trace of harshness or hardness, and im noticing, absolutely sod all surface noise. The 97 and the 150 arent particularly bad for it, but this is silent.
The m97 was getting on my tits, a touch harsh, this is not. At all.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Well the 2 turntable system has had to he mugged off as the xlps phono stage has developed a fault. It is putting out bursts of noise, i suspect some sort of issue with the power supply rather than the gain stages and riaa network as there is no distortion present, just the intermittent noise bursts
So ive ended up with the jvc plugged in so both me and the missus can continue to play records.
As it now has the eroica on it ive had to get the mc step up back out. So im now running the jvc with eroica into my denon ha500 step up and using the benedict audio phono stage.
Sounds lovely though, much better than the xlps.
Shame the jbe is silent again though .......

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Oh and I bought a leak truspeed turntable for 30 quid the other day so I have something else to restore now :doh:
Watch this space

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If that is the one with the AT1005 arm then you really have a bargain.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Nope it has the Connoisseur sau2 arm on it, suspended subchassis, belt drive, Philips impex motor
From 1968 according to the date inside...
Its a fruitbox but not as we know it

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well the newer ones had the AT arm. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/leak/2001.shtml

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Did a little long overdue work on my demo Type 2 Lenco today. It was getting abit ropey, having being bashed about and messed with so I gave it abit of love, tightened up some loose nuts and bolts, readjusted the on off linkage, and did some jobs such as putting abit of thread lock on said loose nuts and bolts that I should have done when I built it. Not a restoration this time, Its only 18 months since I built it, I should stop neglecting things

It originally had a Rega RB251 on it, then a Mayware formula 4.

While I was at it, I turned an arm mount up so I could fit the Audio Technica AT1100 arm wot I got recently in exchange for a denon ha500 head amp. I dont use mc carts much any more so the XLPS does mc duty if I need it

This arm is fab. I think iv'e found the arm/cart combo I have been looking for

ImageLenco + audio technica at1000 + at 150sa by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

It is so very fast and detailed sounding, bass is exactly how I want it, tight and deep without and flabbiness, mid and treble are spot on. Lets the high comp at150 do its stuff.

ImageLenco + audio technica at1000 + at 150sa by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

It just sounds right.
Right enough that I felt the need to play almost there off Level 42 again once the side had finished.
When they say "they don't build em' like that anymore" they were talking about this arm. Because there aren't really any high comp mm carts around other than AT's and grado's, so there isn't much point. It'd probably sound bloody awful with a 103 in it. But it suits the AT150 very very well, and probably the AT440 mlb I have on the JVC too. Had to do a little work on the arm, just put a cart tag on, add some silicon fluid to the damping trough, and give the contacts on the arse end of the removable arm tube a clean to get the left channel back.
Well impressed