a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by Latteman »

Would my spare Lenco head-shell or head-shell with B&O cart be any use to you weight wise
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Ant, there's an HS-25 in my Jelco box if you just want to try one.....

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

It's OK, I have a hs25, it's just in use on the lenco my dad has, plus it's a bit too light anyway at 12 g.
The 150 does just about line up in the ortofon headshell it's only a tiny bit out, and if I wasn't such a pedant I'd be fine with it.
If it was mine I'd be looking at the audio technica at lh18 or something to replace it
The lenco headshells won't fit it unfortunately peter
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Anyway, my moaning about headshells is largely moot, there will be an spu in it anyway
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Feet finally arrived midweek so it's complete now. I've also done some work on the motor unit as it was getting right on my tits.
I hadn't had a chance to listen to it for any length of time since it was completed as I'm on with the next job, (plus moaning about headshells trying to get a cart to line up, which I have now sorted using a jvc headshell with a weight I found in an ortofon cartridge box) and had the first chance to sit down properly with it last night. After a while, I noticed there was a barely audible pitch variation, that once heard, can't be unheard. Some might not have picked up on it, but it's a facet of tt performance that I seem to be especially sensitive to. Watching the strobe, the markings were moving forward and backward erratically, but slowly. As if tracing a square. First going forward, then halting then moving backward then stopping and repeating. Some component hitting a tight spot in its rotation. There is a slight machining error on the strobe markings so it looks like it moves up and down. It was moving up when it stopped after going forward, and down after it went backwards. Which also made me look at components rotating at slow speeds as it was altering every half rotation. If it was the motor it would be fluctuating much faster.
So I cleaned all the drive surfaces with degreaser, lightly sanded the platter drive surface with 1200 grit wet and dry, re dressed the idler wheel, checked and lubed the idler bushes, and pulled the bearing. Cleaned, rebuilt, and re-oiled, it's pitch stable again, and the strobe isn't wandering around anymore. The thrust pad needs replacing though, there is a fairly large flat on the top so I've ordered another one from peak hifi. When I had mine I used a ball bearing one as a replacement, but I went with theirs as its as close as possible to what Garrard designed in the first place. I figure they did it for a reason.
Good job it's still here, if it was getting on my wick, chances are it would have got on Paul's nerves after a while too....

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Nice to see someone cares Ant.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Nice work Ant, looking forward to mine especially given the care you put into them!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ant is a top bloke. Looking forward to hearing it in my system...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

I found a dual motor in a box the other day. id bought it, then promptly forgot about. For however long it's been there. Can't find a record of when I bought it........
I also completely ignored everyone who suggested getting a mission 774 when I asked for recommendations for another arm to buy, and bought an airprodigy linear tracking arm. The arm is being built for me at the moment so i don't have it yet. but i'm rather excited to try it.
The power supply and controls are going in a separate box as the dual is supposed to be one of the quietest motors it's possible to get hold of, so why spoil it by having a transformer in the plinth with it.

This is where we are up to so far

ImageEds1000 airprodigy build by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

the missus says it looks like an eye....

the veneer is oak, the plinth is made up of layers of mdf (top and bottom) high density chipboard and ply to get a nice dead structure. same as usual for me

the trim ring is mdf too and will be painted, probably matte black. and will be a pig to get a decent finish on, but hey ho...

The arm will be on a board in the cutout area, no through hole at the moment because the arm doesn't need one. I could however, fit a 12" arm on the plinth as i made it big enough, so would put a through hole in it at that point. it would support anything from a rega pattern upwards, not a linn pattern though they are too short.
quite why i'd want to is another matter, my time with my friend nigels terminator arm tells me the airprodigy is not likely to be taken off....

next job will be to machine an arm board out of a lump of afromosia timber, the put together a box for the psu.

to be continued
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
savvypaul (Sat May 30, 2020 8:43 pm)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

That looks a beauty Ant. Looking forward to seeing the arm on there.