You been painting?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

not recently, the room got redone in the summer though. it had only been 8 years since it was done last, I don't know what she who must be obeyed was moaning at....
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:08 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:58 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

All finished and wired

ImageCx unipivot revision 9 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

A new bias guide and bias weight were also made as the weight from the older acetal bearing housing revision was too light, and the bias guide from that one was the wrong shape.

I couldn't be arsed to make another arm rest so the earlier one remains on it

I've put a Grado black in it as I still haven't gotten around to getting another stylus for my vm760 slc which I broke a few weeks ago, and this is the only thing I've got that isn't set up in something. I don't want to faff with the dv in the other one at the moment.

Need to dig out another deck to put it on. The big Lenco needs some work doing on it as I noticed there seems to be a bend in the chassis plate, and I'm not sure if it will fit on my mate Pauls 301 thats been here for god knows how long now. I shall have to check wether the retaining nut for the mounting collar will fit in the rebate under the arm board thats on it, if not I'll have to make a new one

hmmmm
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
slinger (Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:03 pm) • Firebug1 (Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:15 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Turns out the 301 hasnt got an arm board on it at all, must have taken it off for some reason
Ill have to make another one anyway so i might has well
Ill drag both the 301 and the big lenco out in the morning and have a look at both of them

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

turns out it was easier and much faster to sort out the lenco chassis plate than to make a new arm board for the garrard. A couple of taps with a rubber mallet sorted it out.

The bearing shim must have shifted and pulled the bottom of the bearing slightly out if square.

While i was at it i made some height adjustable feet which it didnt have before. The new arm should just drop straight in.

Simples

Ill make a new arm board for the 301 when i get round to it, i could put the mayware f4 back on it now thats fixed

Onwards!

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Sorted

That was a pain in the rear to get done, had to pull the motor unit out to sort out the power as it wouldn't run. I'd not plugged the wiring back into the IEC socket and it was caught on something.
Got there eventually

ImageCx unipivot revision 9 on lenco by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

just ran my setup disc so i couldn't say wether it sounds any different

Haven't heard the Grado on these arms either so it's a bit of an unknown

Back up to 4 TT's in the living room.......
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:24 am)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Had to do some re jigging to get everything connected up.

Changed my switch box to another one that has more inputs, the jbe and the small lenco are running into the cole lcr phono stage, the jvc is running into pauls borrowed old project phono stage, and the big lenco into the benedict audio phono stage.
Getting some grado/ lenco hum but its not too bad

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Just been listening to the decks with headphones. Playing the track eyes waterfalling off level 42 persuit if accidents.

Very interesting (to me at least) is that the 2 lencos sound so similar. Practically the same deck, practically the same arm, and the better one is the one with the dv on. As expected. The differences between the 2 are in the carts and it shows. The grado sounded musical but sort of soft and diffuse when i put it on the jvc, not particularly detailed, soft leading edges, but pretty pleasant to listen to nontheless.

In the new arm on the big lenco its rather less soft, theres more detail coming out of it, and its abit grippier. still a pleasant listen.

The dv is much more detailed, nice and crisp with much better grip and control, not soft, not diffuse. An unfair comparison.

But the inherent signature of the deck/arm combo is the same. Which rather suggests that the changes i made to the newest arm have made little difference, or are being masked by the difference between the dv and the grado, so cant be particularly big. I can live with that.

The arm traits are the same, the tight precision ive heard with all of the versions is evident with both carts and the timing is spot on. Simon commented that the earlier version bordered on the analytical, hes probably right. The headphones showed just how tight the bottom end is without room interaction from the speakers.

Its also interesting that the cart traits were so easy to spot, and follow.

Im quite chuffed with that

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

and so you should be, well done Ant, the tt and arm look fantastic.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

antonio66 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:28 am and so you should be, well done Ant, the tt and arm look fantastic.
I agree. You are a very talented young man. Oh that makes me sound old. My PL-71 is winging it's way to you soon Ant. Yeah I know I keep saying that but this time I mean it, honest. :animals-dogrun:
DIY FREE ZONE