Impending House Move: New Listening Room

All general audio posts go here.
ArseHats
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Impending House Move: New Listening Room

Unread post by ArseHats »

Simon Hickie wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 pm I found these words from Roy Allison encouraging:

"I had emphasized dispersion in order to re-create as best I could the performance-hall ambience. I don't want to put up with a sweet spot, and I'd rather have less dramatically precise imaging but a close simulation of what you hear in a concert hall in terms of envelopment. For that, you need reverberant energy broadcast at very wide angles from the loudspeakers, so the bulk of the energy has a chance to do multiple reflections before it reaches your ear. I think pinpoint imaging has to do with synthetically generated music, not acoustic music—except perhaps for a solo instrument or a solo voice, where you might want fairly sharp localization. For envelopment, you need widespread energy generation."
That reads like a good overview of the whys and hows of the concept. Thanks.
"One whos head is so far up ones own arse that they are wearing ones arse as a hat"

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Well, that house purchase has fallen through as the vendors have pulled out. So we've put an offer in on another this afternoon. The room slated for the hi-fi in this one is 14 x 12 x 9 feet. So some semi omnis firing down the long side looks the ticket.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

I feel your pain, we have been trying to move for years and it keeps falling through, either due to the Estate Agents incompetence, vendor pulling out or increasing the price, plain old gazumping or in the case of the last house ficticious builders reports provided by the vendor from a company whose details did not match address, names or registration number.

Bloody Northerners :lol: (OK Lancs is not that far North but it is from Herts)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It doesn't have to be North, for some reason Nth Kent and Thanet are pretty cheap.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 pm It doesn't have to be North, for some reason Nth Kent and Thanet are pretty cheap.
With our budget Kent = park home.

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Sorry to hear your house purchase has fallen through, good luck with your new offer.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ramsgate seems to be about the same price as Lancashire. Margate used to be really cheap but for some reason people have cottoned on and it is on the way up.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Every now and then we think about downsizing. Then we look at what's on offer, and decide to sit tight. Apart from the cost, there's 23 years' worth of accumulated 'stuff' that needs sorting out when/if we move, and, assuming we move somewhere smaller, a lot of it will need to be biffed.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

I'm never convinced regarding downsizing. I prefer 'rightsizing', which in our case seems to involve something bigger. A dedicated hifi room for me and a dedicated sewing room for madam plus downstairs bedroom and shower-room potential are key requirements.