Finally got one!

All general audio posts go here.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Finally got one!

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

wiicrackpot wrote: ...wonder what Progmeister is replacing it with.
Could be wrong but IIRC, he has a heavily modified Goldring/Lenco GL75 with stacked platters, massive plinth and all sorts of other bits done to it. The Pioneer was probably not being used so he got rid.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Sat May 20, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

wiicrackpot wrote:
Jonty2547 wrote:I think so and recall RD saying "if" he sold his it'd be £300+
I mean, where else would you get something as good for that price?
Oh, and i got UPS to collect it for me :grin:
Yes, i think you got a good deal, checked the Bay completed listings they range from £300.00'ish to high £500.00 delivered,
well done, wonder what Progmeister is replacing it with.

p.s. shocked at the price of a new lid, £100.00
£100 is pretty typical for any lids these days (retail).
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

@Steve, i see, going the heavy weight route though i could never understand the stacked platter thing,
isn't the Lenco platter heavy enough?, guess people just like to wear out Lenco bearings, plenty about. :-? :grin:

@Classic, with prices like that i can see why vet Ebayers take the hassle of dismantling TT's and sell it piece by piece.
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Plenty of acrylic fabricators will do a new one for about £50. Just give them the old one to copy. My one has a copy lid made by http://www.angliaplastics.co.uk.fast2host.com/

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I’ve spent a little more time setting it up today and apart from still trying to decide the optimum overhang it’s absolutely singing.
I tried a cork & rubber mat with and without a record weight and it somehow sucked the life out of the music which ever way i tried it So will stick with what Pioneer gave us.
Now need to decide whether to sell the TD160/SME or 1210.
I know this isn’t a review, but i’m kinda blown away with what this TT does for the money! What else could one buy for sub £400 that’s as good?
And for what it’s worth, Steve was brilliant to buy from and i’ve seen the homeless sleeping in smaller box’s than the one he packed it up into 8-)
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Can you imagine he had this TT and a Phono2, and he absolutely loved it, said it was the best he had ever heard endorsed by visitors, and yet he sold it. I know why and it is a classic chop of your nose to spite your face, NOTHING to do with GL75 unless he is lying yet again.

He may be a really nice guy for you and for many other people, but often behind a nice bloke broods a monumental ARSE!

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

i think doc will agree but the original pioneer mat works best with these. good buy matey!
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes NOTHING needs changing, feet are fine. I spent about £150 on new sprung feet as I fell for the bullshit, not any better, not any worse, but not any better, complete waste of £150.

The arm is the best thing, never be tempted to change that. It looks like a Rega R200 as it share parts, and the Rega is good (far better than their RB arms) but this is streets ahead of that.

The other good thing is it simply ignores what it is standing on, no special racks :x no special table needed, plonk it on the floor and it plays music.

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
He may be a really nice guy for you and for many other people, but often behind a nice bloke broods a monumental ARSE!
I take as i find, and Steve is a good and knowledgeable guy (apart from liking Genesis).
I couldn't give a purple rats arse about anyone else's agenda regarding him.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have no agenda with him, as I just explained he has an agenda with me. I have done nothing but tease the guy over NEBO and Marco telling him I shouldn't be allowed to attend. He got some ribbing here from other members as well and couldn't take it. I would meet him tomorrow, I would attend NEBO tomorrow, all the stupidity is on that side. I would sell him another Phono2 if he acquired some sense again. People questioned why he would want to sell it, so I explained, that is all. *I* was the one who put the PL71 on the map, he bought it like you because he believed me. He still thinks it is the best he has owned, but he has sold it because he is being an arse and wants to own nothing I have any association with - PATHETIC!

And that is how you got to own it. so enjoy it.