Finally got one!

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Finally got one!

Unread post by Classicrock »

I thought everyone was aware of Proggys tendancy to throw his toys out of the pram. I have commented on his selling the NVA Phono 2 in the past but he has also sold a lot of other nice kit which IMO should better the PL71. He is a box swapper. I can't say if Doc is the main reason for selling this deck but just could be the stacked platter Lenco sounds good. Having heard one briefly i'm sure he has owned better. I think some people change kit so often they lose track of what sound they prefer or what sounds best, and different becomes better, which is why people are conned into buying overpriced foo bollocks. Anyway Jonty is wrong about Gromit and I'm sure Doc was first person I saw recommending the PL71.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I was trying to avoid this but *I KNOW* why he sold the Phono2 and now the PL71, because he told Marco why, and Marco told others as a way to try and put me down, and *one* of those others told me. The whole thing is childish and pathetic.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have explained at least twice before (in the archive) how I came across the PL71. Early-ish 1970s I was working for Acoustic Research (UK). The Linn thing was just beginning to happen, we were interested as we had a relationship as a company with Hamish and supplied him an AR TT in the run up to the Ariston. So I knew Hamish, chatted to him and *KNOW* the Linn rip-off of Ariston saga back to front.

Anyway we decided to have a bake off to see what the fuss was about. Obviously #1 was the AR TT, we acquired a LP12 from a shop on loan and the PL71 came with it as an example of the Jap way of things.

Result Linn = distorted unmusical shit!! especially on orchestral work (AR were very classical music orientated), AR TT as expected and better than the Linn, the big surprise was the PL71, we looked at each other and said why aren't these selling by the bucket load. It was explained the importers weren't interested they just wanted to sell container loads of cheap belt drive PL12D the magazines had made flavour of the year. Working for AR I obviously used the AR TT, laughed at the Linn and forgot about the PL71. Roll on to 2005, one came up on ebay in Crawley for about £35, at the time I had a Techy 1210 and not that happy with it. Remembering how good it was I bought the PL71 and rolled around laughing when I got home at how good it still was.

Gromit lived in London then and I used his ears for things, he was on the RAF base (now closed) in Uxbridge. He had got a 1210 at the time I did, so he did the same test at his place with my PL71, and rolled about laughing. So he found one and bought it, I think he paid about £80 for his, from that time prices have scooted up and users talking about it has caused this. But you mostly have to import them because you stupidly mostly bought Linn LP12s because you were brainwashed.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

PL71's have shot up in price since 2005. They still make a lot of sense at £325. :grin:

If you go on What Hi-fi or AVforums you'll see threads along the lines of "I have £not-much to spend on a turntable. What should I buy?". Almost all the replies will be "Pro-ject or Rega" :angry-steamingears: You might get the odd "Techie 1210" suggestion too. :roll:

Sometimes I'll chip in with a "Pioneer PL71 / Sony PSX6750 / Sony PS-X6 / Micro Seiki DD 1 / whatever else I've seen on German ebay that week that looks OK". No one ever takes my advice on those forums when it comes to buying equipment. :roll: Probably too radical for them.

It's nice to see the members of this forum making wise buying decisions, such as buying a PL71 for £325. :dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And for them thankfully there are eeediots like Proggy stupidly selling it, 'cos he doesn't like me :roll:

Jonty2547
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Now apologise.
For what? Calling you a liar?
I tell you what, i’ll apologise when you show me when i did so.
Also, it has nothing to do with personal disrespect whatsoever. I respect your knowledge and enjoy NVA equipment more than any other i’ve owned, and from my previous reviews that should be fairly obvious.
I started this thread about the joy of owning a PL-71 and you derailed it with your own personal agenda. It really is as simple as that.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have no agenda I was responding to the implied question as to why he would sell it, I answered. Showing that the agenda is aimed at me. I said this a few posts ago so are you calling me a liar about it.

You know perfectly well your post was disrespect and most members have seen it as such, look at wiicrackpots post.

So yes or no - do you *accept my explanation of why he sold it, do you accept that the PL71 was introduced to the forums and to gromit by me.

*Accept doesn't make it gospel, you couldn't know, accept means you accept it as an explanation, and if you accept that I tell the truth - I do not lie - then you accept that. Otherwise the only alternative is you think I am lying.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Jonty2547 wrote:First off, i'm fairly sure Gromit beat you to it, and also because a NVA owner wishes to sell their equipment doesn't really call for the diatribe you dish out or encourage others to do, does it? I mean, we all buy and sell stuff without prejudice don't we.
I don't expect Kawasaki to drag my name through the forums because i didn't particularly like their latest bike and decided to sell it.
A few things _

"First off, "i'm fairly sure Gromit beat you to it" - If that statement is not factually correct , then you should indeed apologise . "fairly sure" is a convenient literary phrase , it does not negate the fact you are saying the person you are addressing your comments to is wrong . It is customary to apologise if you acusse somebody of being wrong and you are in fact incorrect.

secondly , anything said on this forum about proggy was said as a rebuttal to what he said. He threw he toys out of the pram for no good reason and attacked the integrity of this forum despite being a member , he then tried to rewrite history . I am also fairly sure that "diatribe" is not an appropriate noun .

Thirdly , I have absolutely no idea what buying or selling something without prejudice is. The reason I have no idea what it is , is because it is bollocks .

without prejudice is a legal term that means any inter party correspondence labelled without prejudice in the process of litigation , cannot be used a trial, with a few complicated exceptions . This is important as a judge can only make their mind up on the evidence at trial , thus correspondence labelled without prejudice cannot find its way in to the trial bundle.

you cannot buy or sell anything without prejudice as it does not mean anything .

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I agree, it is the other stuff about Proggy I am mostly objecting to. The PL71 still shows lack of knowledge and acceptance that I don't mislead or tell lies. A simple question would have sufficed, it was worded as doubt and the step before calling me a liar.

I am very sensitive about this as it is my defence against all the problems people try to cause me on forums (including sometimes here). I make sure if I say something than I have facts or empiric experience to back it up and I would appreciate it, at the very minimum, members here accept that. Jonty didn't.
Jonty, please read this again, and Jayman's and my previous post. :grin: