Dumb speaker question

All general audio posts go here.
Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dumb speaker question

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I’ve just moved into my new cottage (from my old place where i could have the music fairly loud). Unfortunately its not really an option here as my neighbour has 2 small kids and i don’t want to keep them up at night).
The speakers i have are B&W 704 which seem to need so much volume “up em“ to sound anywhere near decent. At low volume they’re all but hopeless.
The rest of my gear is in my sig and this pic..

It’s not ideal (and a work in progress) but I’ve got to do the best with the space i have.
And yes,, there are socks on the floor that have been used to block the ports. I have no explanation for the cat.
So back to the question, i think i need some speakers that will perform at low volume levels.
What will work well without financially killing me?
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

wallace

Re: Dumb speaker question

Unread post by wallace »

Here we go,sorry to say it but my Royd Minstrels are the only speakers i have ever owned that sound excellent at all volumes,i listen most nights after her indoors has gone to bed and can even listen to frank zappa without waking her up...Royd and NVA together both excell at low volumes.As it happens there is a pair the same as mine on the bay at the moment for BIN at £170. Good luck with your search...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Thanks Wallace, i'll have a look at them.

Looking at the pics..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252762612127? ... rmvSB=true
the drivers look heavily "doped", is this normal or have they been fettled?
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Get them well out of the back corners and give them a try. I mean a couple of feet or more, or move things around so the speakers are on the long wall. No wonder you need socks in their ports and loads of volume... Use these speakers as near-fields for more 'intimacy.'
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

long thin rooms are problematic , but personally I do not like near field listening , but along the large wall may be an idea.

my theory is speakers that sound poor at low volumes and by that I mean lack of dynamic attack and contrast and a shut in sound , do so because they are being throttled by the crossover . So the solution simple crossovers speakers , doc mods or cubes .

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Jonty2547 wrote:the drivers look heavily "doped", is this normal or have they been fettled?
That is perfectly normal,and is how he got round having a minimal crossover.I have owned two pairs and they both looked like that.They also don't seem to mind where you place them either...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Jonty2547 wrote:the drivers look heavily "doped", is this normal or have they been fettled?
All minstrels had drivers that were hand doped by Mr Ackroyd himself; it's the "magic ingredient" that makes little royds so special. It also makes them difficult to replace (tho the good Doc offers his doped driver service :clap: ). And occasionally due to their age , the dope can impede the movement of the driver over the voice coil, but this is a very easy DIY fix with cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol.
Minstrel have a reputation (I've never heard them) way beyond their price range, and are (if in good condition) easy to shift on if you don't like.
You might be able to get a pair cheaper than £170. That pair are quite heavily sun-bleached, so make sure the grills are present and in good condition.

Edit: beaten to the submit button by Wallace :guiness;
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

There was a pair in the classifieds some time back. Don't know if they sold ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I doubt you could do better than those royds for £170 or less if s/he accepts and offer. They appear to be stained wood and so the sun bleaching may be easily remedied .

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Mine are bleached like that,you don't see it thou' as i keep the grills on,which i see he has,plus ,as Neilardo says you can easily sell them if in the unlikely event that you don't get on with them...