Biamping

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Biamping

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=154827

apparently ywnaker had previously poo pooed Avondale mods , he likes this one :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Les is a good bloke I was just sure he had retired. I remember him announcing it.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

It is strange the ProAC Magnum Amps were tri and bi amps before Magnum took off back in the 1980,s I suspect the DOC did it then also, it was the first time I had heard it and the imaging was amazing. I did it also (1990) with the Inca Tech Quatra and the Lescon Quatra, a cheap set of amps, so with the DOC amps I would love to hear it someday PLEASE.
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Tri-amp SECA 50s, trouble is you would have to listen naked with all the windows open even in winter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: probably worth it though.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:he was on pfm with ywanker last week with a new regulator for naim amps he lent ywanker for review
That is Les gone down in my estimation then.
I don't think Les will ever retire Doc - bit like you I suspect?

Les is a certainly a true Gentleman and I feel certain is only using YWANKER to his benefit. I don't think he likes the individual any more than any of us, but rather "uses" him on occasion for testing the waters with new designs/mods.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote:Hi Alfi,

I did exactly as you have done by monoblocking two NAP140's, now fully Avondale.

But I have recently bought all the parts from LesW to build 4 monoblock voyager amps with new V1.4 NCC200, CAP6, Minicap, HCR200 reg board for front end, soft start, and output protection modules. Transformers are a mix of Canterbury windings 350VA for output stage and Avondale EI for the front end.

Needless to say I have a lot of work to do putting these things together and casing them up. I am sure it will all be worth it.

Stu
Hello Stu.

It certainly will be worth all the effort you've put in and don't forget, if and when you want to go passive on the pre. the P50 is a little belter!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I was unsure if the Avondale NCC200 could be used with NVA passive but you have proved they can. Input impedance is around 18k i think and obviously has input band limiting filters with zobel and output inductor. Les prefers active preamps and i have his 821A preamps board with psu.

Might give it a try one day.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Tri-amp SECA 50s, trouble is you would have to listen naked with all the windows open even in winter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: probably worth it though.
Bloody hell man you have seen me naked quick take the pills save yourself, somebody call a DOC. :grin:
It can be done so imagine it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I've got to say it - a couple of A20's bi amped will do better musically than NCC200's imo. I know Les 'normalises' the ancient PA amp circuit to make it universal with lower distortion than the Naim version (CB and Olive certainly), so it's my view that what the A20's may lose in ultimate power output, they'll hugely gain with musical involvement.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I've got to say it - a couple of A20's bi amped will do better musically than NCC200's imo. I know Les 'normalises' the ancient PA amp circuit to make it universal with lower distortion than the Naim version (CB and Olive certainly), so it's my view that what the A20's may lose in ultimate power output, they'll hugely gain with musical involvement.
Holy thread resurrection Bat Man.

Dave, sorry I never replied to your post. It may well be the case that a couple of NVA A20's would be more musical. However, I invested a lot of money in parts for my projects so will have to soldier on and make the best of what I already have. A few NVA design principles are going to be sprinkled about, I hope the Doc does not mind.

I am building them out of wood with ventilation and large internal copper sheet heat sinks. This will ultimately be class 2 construction, hardwired mains leads, no wire looms :clap: and solid core silver wiring with no insulation where it is safe to do so. The front end will be split off with it's own psu and regulator when I have listened to them in normal configuration first.

Any way, I have actually got the four monoblocks wired up now without the front end split off (that will come soon). I have used 2 avondale monoblocks previously. I am listening to them now through my B&W P4 and crossover components in the amps themselves. They sounded a tad hard and bright at first but have started to blossom. I am glad I decided to biamp with one driver per amp, the results are most satisfying. I don't find the sound fragmented like some report with biamping, in fact it seems much more composed now and together than it did before. There is increased channel separation and a result of that is that more detail has become evident. It is more musical with increased emotional involvement. Can't wait to get the front ends split off with their own psu.

Anyway, next on my list is to finish my Doc mod Marantz speakers. Then I will work on my anologue front end and head amp. That will involve a Phono 2 purchase and then some NVA cables. If my doc mod speakers work out then I can get rid of the speaker crossover parts currently residing just before the binding posts at the back of my amps.

Happy days, Stu
DIY FREE ZONE